Cajunsavage

What's The Most Expensive Fur?

What is the most expensive/durable fur? I was going to use mink, fox or Lynx. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Cajunsavage

Russian Sable.

Art

Awesome, thanks for the reply

A chinchilla coat would also require some investment.

It's probably not that durable though.

Human....

11 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

Human....

Oh that's rich!!!:lol:

11 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

Human....

Well there are some that are furry.:P

On 2/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, DV8DUG said:

Human....

I would have concerns about durability.  And the skin seems able to stretch almost infinitely.  

Assuming you can coerce the wearer out if it in the first place.

That's because of the moisture content I'm sure. Once tanned properly everything should tool well. Maybe just a leg to start with and get a feel for it. 

Vicuña maybe? They can only be shorn every three years and must be wild caught. A vicuña wool sportscoat can easily coat into the tens of thousands of dollars. So I can only imagine if you killed and skinned one how much more expensive it would be.

Most expensive? idk, take you pick of rare/exotic/endangered animals, its probably one of them. Lets go with the Tassy Tiger...

Most durable? probably cow.....

Having owned chinchillas I can tell you that their fur is an escape mechanism. Or it sure seemed that way. Soft as baby hair, but any change in temp makes them drop fur. Worse than rabbit which was really popular in the 70s-80s. Buy a rabbit coat one year and the next year it has mange... ick.

Meanwhile I have found 40-50 year old mink and fox coats at estate sales in perfect condition. I think sable is in the weasel family like mink, so yeah, Russian sable might be the most stable. Cold weasels... lol. 

Human skin isn’t used much because I was always told our skin is inferior to pig skin, not to mention the fuss other people make about its use. :lol:

To Serve Man!

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

There are a few examples of human skin used on book binding but I think it has more with mystical powers of the human soul then anything else.

As none of the following is 'tasteful' and none of the skins given with known consent, you may want to stop now if you are easily offended.

John Osborne, one time Governor of Wyoming, has a pair of shoes made from the skin of a criminal that was lynched. They are in Carbon County Museum in Rawlins, Wyoming.

The Nazi were known to have used human skin for a number of artifacts (and it could well be that a number of antagonists did this to the opposition), in various museums there are Lampshades, Notebooks etc.

In the various collections of leather, say at tannery museums or technical schools there may be samples of Human Skin.

I saw some when I was a student, but we were not allowed to handle it as it was fragile. also it was claimed that the source was unknown.

Anthropodermic bibliopegy is the practice of binding books in human skin. As of Oct 2018, The Anthropodermic Book Project "has identified 49 alleged anthropodermic books in the world's libraries and museums. Of those, 30 books have been tested or are in the process of being tested. Eighteen of the books have been confirmed as having human skin bindings and twelve were proven to be not of human origin but of sheep, pig, cow, or other animals.

Then there's this:

Company claims to make belts & shoes out of human skin

The topic of human leather came up a few years ago:

Opinion on this topic seems fairly polarising. When I'm dead I really don't care what happens to my hide so long as I wasn't murdered for it. However as a friend pointed out when I registered for organ donation, nobody will want my kidneys if they're pickled in vivo...

Russian Sable fur is the most expensive fur because of its silky texture and light weight. 

especially now as you cannot buy it without the risk of hefty fines and/or prison time