magsie

Basketweave - Am I Missing Something Here?

Basketweave stamping is quickly becomeing my new nemesis. I just can't seem to 1) stay on a straight line with it or 2) space the stamps properly. I've been watching the Tandy tutorials and always make a guideline and work back and forth on either side of it, but my technique does not seem to be improving. Does anyone have any other helpful hints or suggestions?

This tutorial helped me a bit.

Also, remembering to work away from yourself so you can see the design form. If you work towards yourself, your hand covers the work you just did making it harder to make straight lines.

Here is a video that makes me feel my skills are so non existant. This guy is fast:

I struggled a lot with my basketweave for a while as well.

The above videos are very helpful and I think it's just a matter of time and practice before you get it.

Another thing that really helped me was saving up and buying myself a nice Barry King stamp. Once I got it, it made me realize the cheap stamp I was using was not perfectly symmetrical and the results are like night and day. I also have a Kyoshin Elle stainless steel rope basket stamp that's cheaper but still very sharp and looks amazing (http://www.leathercrafttools.com/shouhin.jsp?id=9718).

That video was really helpful. And, holy cow was that other guy fast! I can see that edges on my stamp aren't as crisp as the ones in the tutorials so it'll probably be worth the investment for a better one, I would just hate to spend the money on a really good tool when my skills aren't up to par yet! Oh well, I see basketweave coasters and napkin rings in my whole family's Christmas stockings this year. :lol:

I recently bought a few Barry King stamps. Two of them are basket weave and they have made all the difference in the world when it comes to the quality of my work. They are worth every penny. Also a couple of other suggestions: Take a sharpie and mark the middle of each side of the stamp and one end. Then make sure you keep your stamp facing the same direction while you use it - i.e. the mark on the end to the left or right. Use the mark on the side to line up the center with the previous stamp mark center. The BK stamps are really symmetrical but I still mark them just to know I kept things the same all the way through the pattern. Also if it's a large pattern don't be afraid to go back with a straight edge and make additional lines (very lightly) as you work through the pattern to help keep things straight.

Edited by dbuckley505

One thing to note in the first video. While the person is stamping they hit the tool once and then slightly rocked the tool around as they hit it a few more times. This will help you make a nice crisp impression. Also don't be overly concerned if you get off a little bit here and there because it is suppose to give the impression of being hand woven which is not always "perfect." And as always practice, practice, practice.

Yup, practice, practice, practice.

My first attempt on the left and a bit later on the right.

thennow_zps5b3bee0b.jpg

From my YouTube Channel. I've since gotten a better camera.

Number 1 - properly casing your leather will make a world of difference on the quality of the impression and the ability to get good, clean, consistent marks.

Some cheap cheap geometric stamps like basketweave are made crooked from the factory. I have a Tandy craftool weave stamp that you can't keep in lined up in an area much bigger than 2"

Snubbyfan in your movie you say that you can see a ink line through black dye. Thats not right, you can see a ink line through black dye. I've seen it happen to many times. I had a customer that made holsters and he would bring them by for me to sew up and he had marked all over the holster with a ink pen and i told him that the ink would show through even after it was dyed black. He didn't belive me so after i sewed it i dyed it for him and you could see the ink lines.

Snubbyfan in your movie you say that you can see a ink line through black dye. Thats not right, you can see a ink line through black dye. I've seen it happen to many times. I had a customer that made holsters and he would bring them by for me to sew up and he had marked all over the holster with a ink pen and i told him that the ink would show through even after it was dyed black. He didn't belive me so after i sewed it i dyed it for him and you could see the ink lines.

You made me run and check. I've since dyed that leather black and the ink line doesn't show. I haven't had an ink line show...yet, and I really don't want that to happen.

Thanks for the heads up.

This tutorial helped me a bit.

Also, remembering to work away from yourself so you can see the design form. If you work towards yourself, your hand covers the work you just did making it harder to make straight lines.

Here is a video that makes me feel my skills are so non existant. This guy is fast:

Thanks for the tip about stamping away from yourself. It makes obvious sense, now that you said it. I'm about to stamp a large amount of basketweave. will try to remember to let you know how it turns out. Thanks a basket full :)

That video was really helpful. And, holy cow was that other guy fast! I can see that edges on my stamp aren't as crisp as the ones in the tutorials so it'll probably be worth the investment for a better one, I would just hate to spend the money on a really good tool when my skills aren't up to par yet! Oh well, I see basketweave coasters and napkin rings in my whole family's Christmas stockings this year. :lol:

Great idea about the Christmas gifts, unfortunately all of my brothers (4) also do leather work too, sigh.

I recently bought a few Barry King stamps. Two of them are basket weave and they have made all the difference in the world when it comes to the quality of my work. They are worth every penny. Also a couple of other suggestions: Take a sharpie and mark the middle of each side of the stamp and one end. Then make sure you keep your stamp facing the same direction while you use it - i.e. the mark on the end to the left or right. Use the mark on the side to line up the center with the previous stamp mark center. The BK stamps are really symmetrical but I still mark them just to know I kept things the same all the way through the pattern. Also if it's a large pattern don't be afraid to go back with a straight edge and make additional lines (very lightly) as you work through the pattern to help keep things straight.

Thanks for those tips. I will add them to my tip collection....especially important for my current project, a set of saddlebags for a power wheelchair, which will be stamped front, back, and the center strap too. A lot of stamping in my future.

You made me run and check. I've since dyed that leather black and the ink line doesn't show. I haven't had an ink line show...yet, and I really don't want that to happen.

Thanks for the heads up.

He made me check too. I do a lot of black leather work. None showed on mine, not magic marker not black or red, nor ink pen, blue and black

Hold it under a light or when the sun is bright. A pencil mark will show through black to.

I found three good videos on the web

Hold it under a light or when the sun is bright. A pencil mark will show through black to.

I will, tomorrow when the sun comes out, thanks. Will let you know. by the way, what type of dye did you use?

Found three good videos on the web concerning basketweave. I liked Bruce Cheney's video.

Thanks, just wondered whether the type of dye used might make a difference. I like to use water based dye for black. I'll see and let you know.