hidepounder

I'm about half emabarressed to ask this question, but I'll ask anyway. How do I go about using a differnt photo for my Avatar and my signature. Seems like when I change one, the other changes too. Is that "just the way it is"?

Seriously technically challenged!

Bob

Hell Bob, you're two pictures ahead of me!!!

Mike

I'm about half emabarressed to ask this question, but I'll ask anyway. How do I go about using a differnt photo for my Avatar and my signature. Seems like when I change one, the other changes too. Is that "just the way it is"?

No need to be embarrassed, I had to fumble around with it a bit before I got the hang of it, too. Click on the "My Controls" link in the toolbar near the top of the page. Then, down the left-hand side, look for the "Personal Profile" section. There you will see separate links to edit your avatar, signature, etc. You can use different photos for each of them.

Kate

No need to be embarrassed, I had to fumble around with it a bit before I got the hang of it, too. Click on the "My Controls" link in the toolbar near the top of the page. Then, down the left-hand side, look for the "Personal Profile" section. There you will see separate links to edit your avatar, signature, etc. You can use different photos for each of them.

Kate

Thanks Kate...that's why I'm so befuddled! I have done that, have different photos in each, but when I post, my avatar and signature photo are always the same. I know this is silly...but I'm just hard headed enough to become frustrated over something that's not worth my time....but I'm not quitting!

Thanks,

Bob

Well, I see you have been able to add a different image for your personal photo (which is what appears when you look at your profile). Is your avatar image the one you want to change, or the image you inserted into your signature?

Kate

Well, I see you have been able to add a different image for your personal photo (which is what appears when you look at your profile). Is your avatar image the one you want to change, or the image you inserted into your signature?

Kate

Thanks for helping Kate. I want to learn how to insert an image into my signature. I think I copied and pasted directly from my personal photo or avatar photo the first time...that's why they kept changing. Now I've removed the old image from my signature, but can't figure out how to add a new one. :bawling:

Bob

Bob, I think the difference may be that the avatar photo is a copy of the photo loaded directly into here from your computer, but the signature photo needs to be online (at a server) that displays the photo here from that server using the path that you provide....

I can wave my magic wand and fix anything like that. Let me know what you want, and where to put it, and I can help. admin@leatherworker.net is the fastest way to get me. I was out of town this weekend, and I got a little behind on the mail.

Johanna

Kate,

Thanks you for jumping in and helping...I really appreciate it!

cdthayer

Thank you also...what was happening is just what you thought.

Johanna,

Thanks for coming to my rescue. I figured out the "poor boy" way of getting a photo in my signature, but now that I know how, I haven't decided what to use....let you know when find something I like.

Thanks again everybody!

Bob

cdthayer

Thank you also...what was happening is just what you thought.

Bob

Glad I could help, and glad you got something figured out. I took my little "scootin" photo back out of my signature, since I just put it in there for an example for you. It's on my host server and is a photo of my wife and I scootin across northern New Mexico back a few years ago, on one of the few trips when we had two of our children following along behind us in the pickup. We usually just rode two bikes all over the country with no support vehicle, so that photo of us was unusual. It's one of my favorite photos, and I used it as my avatar image on a motorcycle forum a while back.

Some folks like to use a banner (advertising logo and such) in their signature, and that may be the reason that LWN has it set up to simply display the image from some other server. Some of those banners can take up sizable drive space! Have fun! CD