CraigJhnsn

Glue Question

I have been having a really hard time with using glue with leather. Mostly on zippers. I'm using them for a small toiletry type bag, and the pattern I'm using says to use rubber cement to glue the zipper in place before stitching. So far I haven't had much success with using rubber cement. It keeps pulling off as I stitch the zipper in. So I'm curious what others use for glue. I'd like to get this figured out because other projects I want to attempt all call for glueing the edges before stitching. Thanks in advance for an advice you may have.

First of all, Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Rubber cement is for temporary adhesion only. If you're going to be sewing something together you might as well use permanent cement. My preference is to use Weldwood contact cement. It's very important to follow the manufacturer's instructions with the cement (especially Ventilation). At first, I had a problem with 'squeeze out' and little globs of glue on the edges. Then I started following the directions of "...apply a thin layer [of cement] to both surfaces and allow to dry to a tacky film before placement...", and the problems went away.

There are several brands of contact cement sold as leather cement, and I haven't seen any really negative results for any of them....I just chose Weldwood because I can pick it up locally (Lowe's / Home Depot).

First of all, Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Rubber cement is for temporary adhesion only. If you're going to be sewing something together you might as well use permanent cement. My preference is to use Weldwood contact cement. It's very important to follow the manufacturer's instructions with the cement (especially Ventilation). At first, I had a problem with 'squeeze out' and little globs of glue on the edges. Then I started following the directions of "...apply a thin layer [of cement] to both surfaces and allow to dry to a tacky film before placement...", and the problems went away.

There are several brands of contact cement sold as leather cement, and I haven't seen any really negative results for any of them....I just chose Weldwood because I can pick it up locally (Lowe's / Home Depot).

+1

Another vote here for Weldwood contact cement...I would just add to get the "gel" version. No dripping mess.IMO

Another vote here for Weldwood contact cement...I would just add to get the "gel" version. No dripping mess.IMO

Thats what I use.

Craig....I believe most will agree with me that in leather work, any two (or more) surfaces that are to be stitched together, should be glued together first.

Does at least two things:

Creates another degree of bonding the two layers together.

And holds the two layers together as you stitch them..be it hand stitch or machine...makes the stitching job easier to manage.

And of course for edges, keeps them from separating.

Heads up, weldwood is very hard to find in Canada. Lepage is our equivalent. I use the blue heavy duty in clear. It comes in yellow and clear color, the clear is harder to find. They work the same, but the clear is less visable when you are sloppy, or on edges.

Craig....I believe most will agree with me that in leather work, any two (or more) surfaces that are to be stitched together, should be glued together first.

Does at least two things:

Creates another degree of bonding the two layers together.

And holds the two layers together as you stitch them..be it hand stitch or machine...makes the stitching job easier to manage.

And of course for edges, keeps them from separating.

Helps waterproof seams.

Allows you to form a bag wet and stitch it dry. Stitching wet leather is no bueno....