TinkerTailor

441 Clone Outside Presser Foot Screw

I just dropped and lost the screw that holds on my outside presser foot, does anyone know the length and thread pitch/diameter so i can go get a replacement locally?

I have nothing that matches at hand.

Gonna be hooped for xmas if i don't get one today.

High TT,

SS-7091410-SP Screw 9/64-40 L 13.5

NS-6090310-SP Nut 9/64-40

TSC-441 Parts List.pdf

HTH

Art

I,be a magnet a few times to find screw that I dropped, by crawling around on the floor with it.

9/64-40??? (insert line of curse words here)........M4 went in loosely, and i knew that the thumbscrew from the front cover was right, but i didn't know what it was. I was afraid they had used some stupid size like that..Just so juki can charge 12 dollars per screw..........I guess i am waiting on shipping to get one........What a headache. \

Thanks alot for your reply, its appreciated.

I,be a magnet a few times to find screw that I dropped, by crawling around on the floor with it.

I have done that, swept the whole room, and combed the sweepings with a magnet too. Had it stuck on a magnet to keep from losing it while working just above the foot, and i fumbled it a little while putting it in. I saw it hit a piece of paper on the floor under my machine, and then not a sound. Gone. Apparently the universe wants to make sure i can't finish these orders. I had just committed to another one. How am i going to sew 2 belts, 3 wallets, a dog collar and a couple small change purses by hand in 1 week with a day job? Did i mention i had a tooth pulled this morning and am going back to the dentist tomorrow.... Not the best of days.

I really need a drink and a ciggy tonight but i am not allowed due to the hole in my mouth and the meds.

Can someone please have a drink on my behalf?

Thanks.

I'm on my third glass of wine, does that count? Sorry to hear about your lost screw. I've contemplated swapping my dark grey berber carpet in my workshop area for light colored wood flooring just because of the amount of time I've spent looking foot tiny screws on that carpet.

The way that Juki 441 outer foot mount works with the all-the-way-through screw and nut, can you not limp along for a while using a slightly smaller, available screw and matching nut? It seems the bulk of the holding is done by the channel and nested square bar design.

Edited by Uwe

I have a wood floor and little screws hit it and then bounce anywhere.. Yeah i thought of a through screw, however I have an almost total shortage of small screws here it seems. May have to get an assortment some time soon. I have a list of places to call in the morning for a 9/64 screw. There is a machine repair man that advertises on CL that recycles machines, and i have discovered that the junk kenmore machine in the closet uses 9/64 as well in places, but they are all too short. Maybe he has one. There is a juki place in town but they are a ways away, and i bicycle everywhere. Plus i don't want to pay the 16 dollars i saw the genuine screw for sale for online......

I can have it here in a day or 3 from techsew in montreal but tomorrow is my last day off my real job before i travel for xmas. Looks like i will be having a few late nights this week. Fortunately my machine is quiet enough that my neighbours have never heard it, or so they say.

And i cheated and had a beer. I decided that at 200lbs, If one beer thins my blood enough to prevent a clot in my tooth socket, i have bigger problems than teeth to worry about. ..

And when I find the screw I am buying three. Not doing this again.

My local hardware store has a drawer full of gun related screws in weird x/64-40 sizes if I recall correctly, some quite long. Canadian hardware stores may not have drawers like that since you have way more sewing machines than guns up there.

In alberta, where i grew up that is the case, here in Vancouver? not so much. Hell i even know a home depot that does not sell 2x4's and plywood in bigger sizes than 2'x4'......They have a fine selection of patio planters and bbqs however.

Btw, I got myself running with the thumbscrew that holds in the needle of a kenmore home machine, it caught perhaps 3 turns before bottoming out. It is Holding the foot good enough for chromexcel wallets, not trying any kydex with it though...

On some of the clones, the bar is threaded, ghod knows what that will be, but I would call Bob first thing in the morning...I just went down and checked Both of my 441s (Highlead), 9/64-40 screws with nuts.

Art

On some of the clones, the bar is threaded, ghod knows what that will be, but I would call Bob first thing in the morning...I just went down and checked Both of my 441s (Highlead), 9/64-40 screws with nuts.

Art

Thats it, my bar is threaded. I did look over the parts diagram and the thumbscrew on the front of the machine access cover is supposed to also be 9/64-40 and it screws in to the bar perfect, it is just too short to do it with the bar in place. I am pretty sure that is the size, from what i found in a quick search, the old kenmore is the same. Btw, thanks for checking your for me.

I am tempted to just drill it out and use a bigger more common bolt and nut. Not going to try to tap it bigger, that is askin for an asswhupping.....

I'd call bob, but it is a techsew....... I will call Ron and see, however i still have hopes i can find another locally.

Look very carefully, sometimes (actually a lot of times) the nut is recessed into the bar so it is captured and acts like a threaded shaft.

Art

Since i had to have all the tendons on the back of my right hand re-attached a few years ago, i have an issue with dropping small parts. As such i have learned to be very careful. This is the one that got away. I have magnets all over my machine to stick screws to. I did stick it there. I was in the process of putting it back in, with a magnetic screwdriver, and a rag under the bobbin area to catch it if i dropped it, and i fumbled a bit, and dropped it. It hit the center foot and the throat plate on the way down and bounced outa sight. I just caught it hit the newspaper on the floor out of the corner of my eye. Then i didnt see or hear it again. I bet it is under the baseboard, but i am not ripping it up to see.

I would rather deal with the screw than piss off the old lady...

If you piss off the ole lady, a screw may be out of the question.

Art

Look very carefully, sometimes (actually a lot of times) the nut is recessed into the bar so it is captured and acts like a threaded shaft.

Art

To be honest i was about 5 mins away from haywiring it on. I am sure I could make it work, I am a farm boy after all. Would not be even close to the first time a leather stitcher had haywire where a screw ran away.......

Thats it, my bar is threaded. I did look over the parts diagram and the thumbscrew on the front of the machine access cover is supposed to also be 9/64-40 and it screws in to the bar perfect, it is just too short to do it with the bar in place. I am pretty sure that is the size, from what i found in a quick search, the old kenmore is the same. Btw, thanks for checking your for me.

I am tempted to just drill it out and use a bigger more common bolt and nut. Not going to try to tap it bigger, that is askin for an asswhupping.....

I'd call bob, but it is a techsew....... I will call Ron and see, however i still have hopes i can find another locally.

Make sure Ron has a spare bar before you take to drilling. And people ask me why I have two 441s?

Art

To be honest i was about 5 mins away from haywiring it on. I am sure I could make it work, I am a farm boy after all. Would not be even close to the first time a leather stitcher had haywire where a screw ran away.......

Son, down here in the civilized world, we call that safety wire, they even make pliers for twirling it. We do however know what hog rings are, and you would be surprised what manner of "repairs" can be affected that way.

Art

Make sure Ron has a spare bar before you take to drilling. And people ask me why I have two 441s?

Art

Drilling is a last resort, not actually going to do this, I wouldn't anyways without taking the bar out and at least using a drill press, preferably a mill. I am going to try to get 2-4 screws tomorrow locally and if not i will get them from techsew. The thumbscrew is working for now, and since it's a through-hole, i am not so worried about the thumbscrew breaking off. I know how to get out broken bolts. Ever use a left handed drill bit btw? You just drill into the stub of the bolt, and the grabbing of the bit tends to back the bolt out, instead of making it tighter like with right handed bits. That is why it would be easier from the backside, a righty bit will spin the bolt out.

Left handed drill bits are one of my secret weapons.

That screw is a 9/64 40tpi.

Just a thought, if you had it stuck to a magnet, the screw may have become magnetized and bounced from the paper and stuck somewhere to the metal on the machine. Long shot, but worth checking. For what it's worth. :dunno:

<sarcasm>Funny, I've never lost a screw while working on a machine.</sarcasm>

:unsure:

Bob, Thanks for the confirmation, I was pretty sure i had it, but still a little leary.

Sporty1: I looked up under the pedals, i even checked if it got caught up in the casters. At some point i always cut my losses. I got it rigged to finish at least some work last night, and in an hour or so i will get on the horn and look for some screws.

Gregg: Sewing machine screws are one thing, I also rebuild internal gear bicycle hubs. Do you have any idea how many little pawls and springs there are in there? They are all planetarys inside there. Sometimes 2-3 sets of planetarys. Shifted from a little pin that goes into the end of the axle. Whey you pull them out of the hub most of them have 3-4 pawls spring loaded on the outside that engage the hubshell, and the pins that hold them in fall out really easy. Once you pull off the bearing cone, everything comes off the axle with a couple twists. When you put it back together, all those planetary gears and pawls have to get back into their spots or it won't go together. Opening one is not for the faint of heart. Most mechanics just look at those hubs, and say nope. A few of them then send the person my way.

I keep every set of decent internals for the pins and springs. Spares save time and time is money. Unfortunately this is a new machine, and no-one with a broken one has walked into my door to give me a spare.......yet.

Edited by TinkerTailor

<pissing myself laughing> Never lost one myself Gregg <pissing myself laughing>

<sarcasm>Funny, I've never lost a screw while working on a machine.</sarcasm>

:unsure:

Just to be really confusing there is a mixture of screws used on Chinese built machines but the mix is for a variety of reasons.

All of it really starts with Singer and ADLER........

Some machines buillt in China are copies of Japanese machines but the Japanese started building machines for Singer as they closed their factories.

Other machines are copies of ADLER machines. Some of those started out as outright copies of Singer machines - possibly, such as the No4, a license built version of the 45k25 - but over the years "Germanised".

There is a mixture of parts and screws in the Chinese machines that will fit older machines. What we dealers charge the big dollars for is learning which bit fits what.