Circuit Rider

Singer 17U 141

Just getting back into leather after ten years and want a machine. I found a Singer 17U 141 locally and would like to know something about them, durability, service, parts, etc. Thanks for any and all help. James

AFAIK the "U" prefix is for made in Japan machines. It is a light duty machine with extremely small bobbins. Hooks, bobbins and some spare parts are still available. Nothing for heavy leather work. Really a light duty machine. If serviced well they will last for many decades. I once owned a Class 17 from the early 1900´s - worked quite well but the tiny bobbins were an issue.

Gents, Thanks for the info. I went to check the Singer out and also saw a Bantam manually operated machine. Looked them up online and liked what I saw. Does anyone know anything about them? I will be sewing 7/8 oz leather sometimes doubled to make holsters. Thanks,James

Well, "Bantam manually operated machine" really narrows it down, doesn't it? Do you have any pictures? Do you have any links to what you saw online that you liked? Personally, I've never even heard of a Bantam machine before. Share with us what you know about it.

Circuit Rider is probably looking at one of the Chinese patching machines badged " Bantam" and sold by Bantam Saddle Tack on their own website as well as Ebay.

machinehead, That is correct, I found it on their site at bantamsaddletack.com. The used one I saw today looked to be pretty substantially built, but it's Chinese made, so if anyone checks in with more info I'd appreciate it.

The 17 class machines were built for the shoe industry mostly. Seiko kept building them as the TE when Singer went down the tubes.

The patcher has similar thread capacity