rmr

How Much Do You Thin Your Fiebings Oil Dye

I know many thin down their feibigns oil based dye with denatured alcohol. I just starting doing the same- to make the dye go farther. I did a few tests on some veg tan caps using both light and dark brown as well as mahogany oil dye. Thinned dye ( dye to alcohol) 75:25, 50:50, 25:75. It was really hard on any of the samples ( comparing samples within each color ) I did to tell that there was a difference in the color of the final product once it dried.

So My question is- how far do most of you dilute/thin your Fiebings oil based dye with denatured Alcohol?? Im guessing there is an endpoint where there will be a difference in color

RMR

I know many thin down their feibigns oil based dye with denatured alcohol. I just starting doing the same- to make the dye go farther. I did a few tests on some veg tan caps using both light and dark brown as well as mahogany oil dye. Thinned dye ( dye to alcohol) 75:25, 50:50, 25:75. It was really hard on any of the samples ( comparing samples within each color ) I did to tell that there was a difference in the color of the final product once it dried.

So My question is- how far do most of you dilute/thin your Fiebings oil based dye with denatured Alcohol?? Im guessing there is an endpoint where there will be a difference in color

RMR

Dye to DEA 3 to 1 most times, 4:1 often. Some colors like the yellowish ones even more. Remember, if it isn't dark enough, you can dye it again and again and again till you get what you want. Spraying does not penetrate as deeply as flooding (dipping) with dye.

Remember, you can't make it lighter, only darker.

Art

I played around with different ideas, . . . formulas, . . . finally hit on 50/50 fro all of em.

So far has worked out OK, . . . don't have to remember different formulas for different dyes, . . . all are the same.

I landed there because that is the one where black worked good for color, . . . and there was not that much left over pigment to have to buff off.

May God bless,

Dwight