Hi, I'm very new to leather working (just picked it up as a hobby), and I'm new to this forum.

I'm currently working on a wallet, using vegetable tanned leather. I cut the pieces and dyed the leather black with an oil based dye from tandy leathers. After letting it sit over night, I then applied a satin shene finish to the pieces (also from tandy leather). The lady working at tandy leather told me to apply it and then take a cloth and rub the pieces after it drys. I did this, and noticed that the leather was quite sticky feeling. I read the instructions on the bottle and it said to clean up with soap water. So I did this and it was still sticky. I then did some research online and couldn't find much. It appears that I'm not suppose to rub the shene off but rather leave it on. I've applied several light coats, but it's still sticky. Is there anyway to fix this? Am I applying it incorrectly? Thank you!!

Blessings,
Tyler

I should add that I have now been letting the shene sit on the leather overnight, and it is still quite sticky.

Too thick a first coat, so it can't dry. Try a test piece. Cut the shene 50% with water before applying. Apply in light coats, allow at least 8 hours between.

You may have to use a stronger solvent in order to remove the mess. Try alcohol or acetone. Test on a small area or other piece of scrap to see how it behaves. May remove some of your dye, or spread it around.

Tom

Rubbing alcohol has some other stuff in it. It may not be a problem. If you do a search for alcohol here, you will find many threads that give lots of info on the types available, including suitable types from the local liquor store if others are hard to find. Ethanol is good, Methyl Hydrate works for me. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with junk added to it to make it un-drinkable. Ethanol is what is in booze.

You can always experiment on scrap pieces and see what works best for your case. You learn more by trying and seeing the first hand results.

Tom

OK, thank you. Yes, I tested the rubbing alcohol last night, and it actually seemed to get rid of some of he sticky feel. I then applied half water half satin shene to each piece again, and I've noticed it now has a bit of a sticky film on it again. I suppose I should let this sit for 8 hours at least. If it's still sticky after that, then I assume it might be the shene I'm using making it feel that way.

No, I bought it new from Tandy Leather. It's been about 7 hours now, and it's still sticky too haha.

Maybe it's the way the satin shene is suppose to feel?

Haha, I may have to end up doing just that. Doubt they will give me a refund. As a beginner, I'm sure I did something wrong. Either way, it helps to learn. Thank you for your help though!!

Blessings,

Tyler

Be sure to buff your leather and let it sit before you add your sheen. I live in Dry Arizona but its winter and we have had a bout of rain. When I apply my dyes I am getting some condensation on the surface and if I dont do a heavy buff before I move on the piece will be worthless. I usually let my dye sit overnight then buff then let it sit another day before I do anything at all with it.

Seems like alot of time but its less than the thousands of hours I have spent correcting mistakes I have made. Cutting your sheen is also great advice. What did you use to apply it?