Dorado

Looking To Make My First Gunbelt. Need Help And Advice.

Hi everyone. My first post and I've got some questions.

I'm looking to make my first gun belt. I've got a pair of Uberti Cattlemen .357 revolvers that I'm wanting a new holster rig for. I've been looking up different patterns and things and I've found a nice Slim Jim holster pattern that I'll follow. I'm wanting a right hand straight draw and cross draw. The patterns are in the set. My problem though is with the belt itself. I can't seem to find much help on what to do about the belt. What I'm wanting is a two layer belt with continuous cartridge loops. I can't seem to find anything on how to do that. I don't have the money to spare on videos either.

I've never made one before what I'm thinking is that before I glue the two layers of the belt together that I can either sew the loops on to the outside layer, or I can cut a series of slots and weave a thin strip through. Then, either way, I can glue the two layers together and sew.

Which way would you suggest?

What thickness leathers?

Do I sew it flat or on a curve? How?

What tools would I need? I have a basic set. I think the only thing I'd need would be an oblong punch.

I figured that what I'd do is pre-punch the outer layer first and then once glued use my awl to punch the inner layer. Is that the right thing to do?

Oh, I can't carve either so I would entertain suggestions on dressing it up a bit. I'm looking at a brown color scheme.

Thanks in advance.

Dorado

Edited by Dorado

If you want the rig to carry that cannon, . . . better do the belt right. Yes, . . . it needs to be curved, . . . there is an excellent video series from John Bianchi, . . . he goes through it.

Basically, . . . if you can think of a bow where the string is 6 inches from the bow at the middle, . . . that is the curve you need to make. That keeps it from dropping to his ankles every time he sneezes.

I make only dual layer belts, . . . two pieces using contact cement and then sewn together, . . . 7/8 oz veggie tan.

Tongue is also double layer, . . . same leather. Buckle holder is 7/8 single layer.

Belt loops are 4/5 or 5/6 depending on what is there when I need it.

I use a single hole looping system, . . . the loop comes through the hole, . . . around the cartridge, . . . and back out the exact same hole. This is ONLY done on the outside piece of the belt, . . . NOT on both pieces.

There is an example on my website, . . . but it is a money belt, . . . made a bit differently than the standard gun belt and it is not curved.

Gun belts are not that hard to do, . . . just time consuming.

Oh, . . . final point. Make it a practice to add 4 inches to the length of the belt the guy wears, . . . for a hip holster. That way it fits, . . . if you don't, . . . you'll re-make it most likely.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight,

So if I'm reading this right:

Curve is necessary. Do I cut the belt in a curve or is the belt cut straight and the curve comes as I glue on the inner liner?

For the loops you'd recommend punching on hole per loop and weaving the thinner leather around a bullet. Right? Somewhere between 4 and 6 oz leather.

Perhaps I should look into getting a pattern for a gun belt and follow that.

I'm thinking I'd like a 2" or 2 1/4" belt, I have a 2 1/2".

Edited by Dorado

When the belt is laid down on the table, . . . loops up, . . . flat, . . . it should look like a big smile (or frown depending on which ends are up).

My 40 inch belt has a 6 inch curve if you draw a line left to right, . . . point to point, . . . then measure from the line to the belt.

Both pieces are cut, . . . curved, . . . loops put on outside piece, . . . then glued together. If you are thinking curve like a curve around a barrel, . . . you are thinking of the wrong curve. It's the curve you get from a smiley face that you want in the belt. That is what keeps it up around the cowboys hips when he sneezes wearing a hog leg.

I pretty much make all of mine 2 1/2 wide, . . . everyone seems to like that the best. I've made some 3 inch, . . . they are a bit wide.

I made my template, . . . using a string, . . . pencil, . . . and a needle. Needle is the center of the arc, . . . string holds the pencil, . . . make a big arc for it. Then I cut the template, . . . made markings on it to make a 34, 35, 36, 37, etc inch belt just by sliding one end around.

You might look down in the holster and belt forum on here, . . . some excellent tutorials there.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Alright so cut belt with a smile to it. That helps. I'll have to wait until after my next payday to get the leather but I may go ahead and get the tools and hardware I'll be needing.

Dorado, if you want to add a bit of embellishment, try some basic stamping. Once you work out a suitable pattern it can look pretty impressive.

Dorado, if you want to add a bit of embellishment, try some basic stamping. Once you work out a suitable pattern it can look pretty impressive.

That's not a bad idea. What I was thinking of is since I'm making lined slim jim holsters and belt I'd dye the lining and cartridge loops a darker color than the outer leather, and then on the holsters I'd add a belt around them sort of what is found on Mexican loop with a decorative concho in the middle. I don't think I have any stamps left. I gave them all to my brother. I'll look though, I might be able to come up with a border pattern.

I've got the outer layer of the holsters cut. I'm using a 8-9 oz leather that I had. I'll be lining it with 2-3 oz. So far they've come out good. I'm stuck waiting on some tools before I continue though.

I'll be ordering some 7-8 oz for the belt and I'll get a strip of 4-5 oz for the bullet loops. As well as the holster lining.

As far as the belt itself is concerned, I'll be using my current belt as a rough pattern. It's 2 1/2" ranger style belt, It fits just fine I'm on the middle notch which is where I'm supposed to be. My current one is still comfortable, just faded from the sun and has gotten a bit beat up. I'm just wanting something different and prettier.

I think I figured out the color I want. At least it's the color I've got and it looks good. I've got the holsters cut and the belt loops sewn on, I'm waiting for the lining leather to arrive. The holsters are made from 9oz veg tan and will be lined with 3-4 oz. I'm planning on dying the lining and cartridge loops a different color from the main holster color. I'd like to post a picture of what I have so far. They are nowhere near being completed but are looking good so far.

First picture is without the flash, second is with.

IMG_1903_zps0w2xjhdh.jpg

IMG_1904_zpsx6vwagtu.jpg

Once I get them lined and sewn I can sand the edges and fix that roughness.

So, What do y'all think?

After throwing away a few holsters, . . . I finally figured out that if I glued, . . . sanded, . . . gouged, . . . THEN stitched, . . . it would work out better for me.

You may not be able to get the distance from stitch to edge as even all the way around by doing it your way.

But we learn as we go along.

May God bless,

Dwight

If I stitch last I don't think I can get the edges to match. Besides my holes are already punched. My next holster I think I'll try stitching last.

I ruined one holster trying to gouge out the stitch lines. I couldn't get the points very well and I messed up really badly.

If I stitch last I don't think I can get the edges to match. Besides my holes are already punched. My next holster I think I'll try stitching last.

I ruined one holster trying to gouge out the stitch lines. I couldn't get the points very well and I messed up really badly.

Do this:

Use contact cement, . . . glue the edges together so they cannot move.

Sand the edges until they are all nice and rounded, smooth, and the contour of the holster is appropriate.

Bevel the edges

Gouge the stitch line

Mark, punch, stitch (or in my case, . . . sew).

Works a whole lot easier that way, . . . believe me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I had already punched the holes for the stitching. Next time around I'll glue it together first then do what you suggest. I'm already planning on making me a black gun rig. But that'll be in another year or so.

Alright well I have my holsters looking great. I wanted to thank y'all for all your help so far. Now I have another question. I'll be starting on the belt part soon. I have two strips of 2 1/2" 6/7oz leather for the main belt and I have a 1" strip of 4/5 oz for the cartridge loops. I'm shooting .357 mag out of these and I'm wanting to do the single hole woven loops. I have a slot cutter for the holes and I know roughly how to do it. My question is to how far apart should I space the slots. I've heard 1/2" but also 3/8". What would be better? I'd like to maximize the number of loops.

Alright well I have my holsters looking great. I wanted to thank y'all for all your help so far. Now I have another question. I'll be starting on the belt part soon. I have two strips of 2 1/2" 6/7oz leather for the main belt and I have a 1" strip of 4/5 oz for the cartridge loops. I'm shooting .357 mag out of these and I'm wanting to do the single hole woven loops. I have a slot cutter for the holes and I know roughly how to do it. My question is to how far apart should I space the slots. I've heard 1/2" but also 3/8". What would be better? I'd like to maximize the number of loops.

You have to "figger" this one.

Two cartridges, .375 (+/-) in diameter, . . . with two pieces of 5 oz leather between them.

We're talking "center to center", . . . so we can start out with the .357 diameter being the minimum distance (if you laid two of them side by side, and if there was no rim on the cartridge.

Add to that the two pieces of 5 oz leather which must go between the two cartridges, . . .that equals one piece of 10 oz leather, . . . which equals 10/64ths of an inch. The decimal equavelent is .156 inches.

.375 plus .156 equals .531. That will give you a belt with loops right together when it is laying flat on the table. Hanging off your body, . . . there will be slight air gaps between them.

Set your set of dividers at maybe .550 or so and you won't get in trouble.

Look at the little drawing, . . . notice the two lines, . . . they are the top and bottom of the cartridges LOOPS, . . . I prefer mine fixed so the cartridges are actually centered on the belt, . . . some folks like em up a bit higher, . . . it's your choice, . . . it's your belt.

Scribe a line that goes from one end to the other of your line of cartridges (multiply .550 by the number of bullets you want to put in there to get the length of that line). Again scribe that line, . . . and then take your dividers set at .550 and make marks on the TOP line, . . . the one closest to the top of the belt, . . . make your punches at each of those points, . . . thread your loops, . . . and you are good to go.

I start out with the left end (I'm right handed) and work my way around, . . . having riveted the left end about an inch or so to the left of the first cartridge.

Dampen your loop leather (don't soak it, . . . just a moderate dampening), . . . pull it up, . . . push it back down, . . . put a bullet in the loop, . . . pull it TIGHT. Do the next one the same way, . . . I leave the bullets in until about an hour after I finish weaving the loops, . . . while the leather is still a tad damp, . . . and then I very easily, . . . very gingerly, . . . take the bullets out.

Hang it up to dry. Come back tomorrow, . . . you got a cartridge belt, . . . well, . . . almost anyway, . . . add the buckle and the tongue billets, . . .

I contact cement the two pieces together, . . . sew the edges, . . . now you got a cartridge belt.

Have fun, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-17306400-1455156732_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Dwight, that is exactly what I wanted to know. So about how many loops can I get out of a 72" strip? 24-26?

I try to look at reloads, . . . not bullet count.

Also, . . . are you making a belt, . . . or a bandolier?

A 72 inch belt is a pretty BIG guy :cowgirl: , . . . but just figure out how much space you want to put bullets in, . . . divide that by your .550 spacing, . . . you'll know then how many you can do.

My personal rig for my .45 LC, . . . has 20 loops, . . . 4 reloads of 5 each, . . . also space on the right hand side for the holster, . . . and a space on the left side for a knife, . . . another holster, . . . canteen, . . . possible pouch, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-17335100-1455212670_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-69207100-1455212681_thumb.jp

No it's a 47" belt total. I have a 72" strip of 4/5 oz leather for the bullet loops. I'd like to get as many as I can on the belt as I sometimes forget to bring enough ammo and what I've had on my belt made just enough for me. My current belt has 15 loops but I'd like to double that. I think I can get 32 out of it according to what I've read. If not then I'm in trouble I just finished cutting the slots for them and that's how many I cut. I guess if push comes to shove then I can try skiving two strips together to make up the rest.

OK, . . . that's an easy one, . . . I've had to do that on occasion or two, . . . pull your leather through the hole while you still have 3 or 4 inches on it, . . . cut it so it is half the distance to the next slot, . . . skive it and the new piece so they will lay flat, . . . use a little dab of contact cement to hold them together, . . . put a staple through both pieces or sew a couple of stitches, . . . just to hold them together.

Go on and pull it through the rest of the slots, . . . and when you put the belt together, . . . MAKE SURE, . . . that area gets good cement.

It'll work, . . . been there, done that.

May God bless,

Dwight