FoxJ

Help Identifying An Old Singer Sewing Machine

I had a friend call the other day saying that a friend of a friend had a leather sewing machine they are looking to sell because the lady that owned it had past away(its now at the sons house)

They said it came from an old saddle shop in Tucson that closed down years ago but the son saids his mom only use it to sew heavy clothes.

The son found "o-mo ae206457" on the bottom of the machine.

Any info would be great?

I've built saddles and all kinds of tack but I've never had a leather sewing machine so I'm a bit lost.

Sorry no pictures its a 2hour drive to go look at it.

Singer serial numbers don't refer to a particularly model. Gonna need a picture. There should also be a metal tag on the machine unless it was removed.

Regards, Eric

If it is just ae206457 then it most likely is a Singer 95

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-ae-series-serial-numbers.html

Weren't the Singer 95 the machines with the odd timing belt with punched holes? But I think it depends on the subclass maybe later ones had a different timing belt or were gear driven.

Yes,the 95-1 has that belt,there is someone making the belts now.I have seen them on ebay.

Pretty speedy stitchers with 3500 spm in 1912. Sure got the leather smoking ;-)

Greets

Ralf C.

95 class, serial number issued July1 1936 for a batch of 5000, next batch issued September 9, 1936.

Usually they use the 88X1 needle but I adjust the needlebar to suit the longer DBX1

Thank you all for the help. Turns out he has some old leather tools as well so I'll be going to look at them and I'll try to get some pictures of the sewing machine wile I'm there.