aquinn1989

Setting Rivets In Difficult Places

Hi all i make firefighter radio straps and harnesses. I am having a difficult time coming up with a good design on a radio harness that i can set rivets well. The press i have is not deep enough to let me set the bottom rivets. I will attach some pictures. I am having a difficult time setting the bottom rivets in the holster. Any pointers or ideas would be great!

Thanks

Alex

post-61141-0-66127800-1455399914_thumb.j

post-61141-0-68834400-1455399925_thumb.j

post-61141-0-27495300-1455399933_thumb.j

post-61141-0-27769300-1455399945_thumb.j

Hate to say it but you might be looking at doing some by hand

Can you shorten the side flaps enough to fit the rivet machine in through the bottom corner holes?

Chicago screws would be good but price just went up on materials compared to rivets

Yeah i use Chicago screws in the two larger holes to hold some clip with Dees. I couldn't mind setting some by hand but i am unable to figure out a good way to have a solid surface to strike against that will fit inside the holster to allow for that. I think i will try shortening up the sides so i can get the press in there. Thanks for the pointers all, really appreciate the help.

I use a piece of 3/4 by one inch steel that is bent L shaped. To use it clamp it in vice and set the rivet in a hard to get at place.

Would it be possible, to drill a hole on each side of the press, if there are not any there already ?

and afix your press with bolts, to something sturdy where the jaws could hang over the front edge ?

This would allow you to insert the case onto the lower jaw, and thus able yourself to rivet ?

Just a thought ????????????? Hope this might help ? --- Wild Bill46

Wild Bill is right. That's how it's done.

Your little press is made out of cast iron — if you're doing a ton of riveting, I wouldn't trust the business end not to snap off if it's not supported by your bench or a piece of steel. It'll probably be fine for limited runs, but be very very mindful of any flexing at all.

You might consider having Metal Supermarket or similar or a machine shop fabricate a piece of 1/4"+ steel plate more or less the shape of the entire footprint of your press with the same hole pattern.

Nuttish - Thanx for your vote of support ! --- Wild Bill46

I make similar boxes for cell phones, . . . magazine carriers, . . . etc.

I set the rivet by sliding a piece of lumber in the pouch, . . . then a 1/4 or 3/8 inch piece of flat stock steel, . . . one smack with a hammer, . . . rivet is set.

I can set that rivet with a hammer faster than I can even think about doing it with the setter.

Just the way I do things. . . . works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I make similar boxes for cell phones, . . . magazine carriers, . . . etc.

I set the rivet by sliding a piece of lumber in the pouch, . . . then a 1/4 or 3/8 inch piece of flat stock steel, . . . one smack with a hammer, . . . rivet is set.

I can set that rivet with a hammer faster than I can even think about doing it with the setter.

Just the way I do things. . . . works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I was going to post this exact thing when i got home to a real keyboard instead of my phone. Beat me to it.

It is also way faster than fiddling with chicago screws and much cheaper. To be honest i think double caps hammered flat hold way better than ones done with a setter to keep the dome.

i think double caps hammered

Tinker, what are double caps?

I like to use the hammer and dome the outside piece, . . . but inside where it will rub on a gun magazine, . . . cell phone, . . . etc. . . . I prefer them to be flat.

I've got several pieces of steel and lumber out there in the shop, . . . some specifically sized to go right into the box.

I also made a tool that uses a small paper clip, . . . I slip the rivet into it, . . . goes down into the pouch and out the hole, . . . slip in the lumber, then the steel piece, . . . pull out the tool, . . . put on the cap, . . . SMACK, . . . done.

I believe it was an M14 magazine pouch that I first did this with.

Double cap rivets are what I've just always called rivets:

May God bless,

Dwight