ratty

Singer 111G155 Thread Size And Type

I want to attach a binder to my singer 111g155, so i ordered a couple of screws to fit the two threaded holes to the rear and right of the foot. When i tried to fit them they wouldn't fit,even though the supplier assured me that they would fit. So i checked the thread of the screws and found that they were 6-40UNF but the two tapped holes were M3 ( metric 3mm). Also i checked the rest of the threaded holes on the bed and they were M5 (metric 5mm).

Can somebody tell me when singer changed to metric threads ,or is it because my machine is made in Germany?

Also i needed to replace the two helical timing gears, so i ordered two new ones from a supplier. But when they came and i tried to fit them they wouldn't fit. So i checked them and found that the new ones were metric; the larger gear had a diameter of 44mm and a 1Module metric gear form, but the old one had a diameter of 43.57mm and a 26DP gear form (imperial). As the gear centers are fixed I couldn't get them to mesh properly so wouldn't fit.

Has anybody else had the same problem with the timing gears? Does anybody know if and when singer changed to metric gears?

When i contacted the supplier, he said that he had never had problems with these gears before and couldn't explain it. All I can think is that the new batch of gears has been made to the wrong spec,as they are virtually identical.

hope somebody can enlighten me

thanks

Sewing machine manufacturers have delighted in messing with people's minds regarding screw thread sizes and pitches for well over a hundred years. They happily mix fractional, metric, and in-house custom sizes (random-prime/64" is popular) on the same machine and generally keep you in the dark beyond the part numbers.

I've been trying for weeks to find out what size thread is on top of a 441 clone arm, but even the official U.S. importer of the machine does not know ("Whatever it is, it's the same as the Juki!"). I'm gonna call Mr. Juki himself and after he tells me I may just slap him, just because they started that particular mess.

There's a fair amount of re-drilling and re-tapping going on by end-of-the-rope owners, too, so your machine may not have the same threads it left the factory with.

Good luck with your search. If you find the actual thread specs, post them here to preserve the knowledge for others.

Edited by Uwe

Sewing machine manufacturers have delighted in messing with people's minds regarding screw thread sizes and pitches for well over a hundred years. They happily mix fractional, metric, and in-house custom sizes (random-prime/64" is popular) on the same machine and generally keep you in the dark beyond the part numbers.

I've been trying for weeks to find out what size thread is on top of a 441 clone arm, but even the official U.S. importer of the machine does not know ("Whatever it is, it's the same as the Juki!"). I'm gonna call Mr. Juki himself and after he tells me I may just slap him, just because they started that particular mess.

There's a fair amount of re-drilling and re-tapping going on by end-of-the-rope owners, too, so your machine may not have the same threads it left the factory with.

Good luck with your search. If you find the actual thread specs, post them here to preserve the knowledge for others.

which one? I can check what mine are. I did a little checking and my techsew5100 has all the right juki speced mismatched threads everywhere i have looked so far.

i saw a video (or read) where someone said that singers can be fixed with hand tools - a hammer and straight slot screwdrivers - but you can't buy a singer screw in a hardware store. ironic. it seems thread sizes are a proprietory secret.

Edited by ramrod

I have a bunch of Singer machines, even some Made in Germany but as far as I know there is no metric thread so I guess some one tapped / re-tapped the metric threads.

regarding gears - I have attached a few pictures of my spare gears, maybe that helps.

post-31854-0-54052600-1455696312_thumb.j

post-31854-0-27257300-1455696328_thumb.j

Thanks for the photo of the gears, they have the identical diameter to my gears. So the gears that the supplier sent me are definitely the wrong size, as the big gear is 44mm diameter. The supplier saw blind that the gears he sent me would fit!

The two small screws on the bed behind/to the right of the needle/foot could not of been re-tapped to metric ; as they are M3 which is smaller than the

6-40 unf thread that the commercial screw are made. When you ask any of the supplier of parts they can't tell you what thread any of these screws are, all they can say is that they are the correct one for the machine.

Does anybody have a copy of the detail drawings which the machines were made from? eg sizes/diameter/thread pitches etc

ratty, good luck with finding detail drawings - it's a pretty good effort just finding user manuals/parts lists for many of these machines! I have British, German and US machines and it's a nightmare trying to figure out threads and find suitable screws. I can understand why someone would re-tap them for modern "standard" threads (I've been tempted myself a couple of times).