JLSleather

Leather -- Not So Wonderful

Yes, I know stuff for sale goes down in that other section. Just a heads up, since I haven't piled it all up yet.

I have a pile of poop that some suppliers called leather, and 'got me' for quite a bit of money. I'll be selling it just to get it out of here, since i'm not going to use it, but seems a waste to pitch it.

Just one example... I cut the "spongey' parts of some W/C black skirting off the hide. There are two pieces almost 6 feet long, and a total of about foot and a half wide.

Now, at $10 / foot, this cost me about $90, but if I had SEEN it BEFORE hand, I wouldn't have given them $20. And that's just a start.

We all know there will be some waste on a hide...some that doesn't get used for various reasons. But this is nuts. I kept putting it over in that end of the room, thinking I'll use it for SOMETHING... but what happens is I keep going through it and not using it, so it needs to go.

I also have some full single shoulders, in black, brown, chestnut... ..

So here's the "thing"..I would NOT use this leather for belts, even if it's long enough. Still, might be good for pet collars, stiffeners, or to be used as backing for exotics.

I'm thinking like 25¢ on the dollar... I know I take a hit.. but it's worth it to get it out of my way. Should have done it in December so I could take the tax write off ;) Basically, if I keep looking at it -- just gonna make me mad!

Pictures in the works, will post in for sale area.

Edited by JLSleather

Well, actually they don't accept returns on leather "altered", which includes having it split to 7/8 oz. Would have been nice to know that to begin with, don't ya think :)

In the end, though, I didn't order 'bargain basement' leather -- I paid for the top of the line. They've sent me absolutely beautiful leather in the past, but not so much lately. So, I'm not going to debate it... if this is what they're sending out i think I'll pass.

So, IF someone can use the stuff and want's to pay enough to make it worth my trouble to package and ship it, that works. If not, there's room in the landfill.

I got one hide from SLC today to finish a couple of things, and it doesn't look TOO bad. It'll let me get a few things out the door. Beyond that, I think I'm going to have to go to buying leather that I can stand there and look at.

Please don't throw it in the dump, I know that I'm certainly interested.

I am interested in the single shoulders......will look forward to pics......what is the weight? Good enough for guitar straps?

Edited by dfrensdorff

Starting to drag the stuff out and see what's there. Check teh for sale section... crazy good price if you got a use for this. Two batches pictured.. likely have one more in there somewhere!

Well, actually they don't accept returns on leather "altered", which includes having it split to 7/8 oz. Would have been nice to know that to begin with, don't ya think :)

In the end, though, I didn't order 'bargain basement' leather -- I paid for the top of the line. They've sent me absolutely beautiful leather in the past, but not so much lately. So, I'm not going to debate it... if this is what they're sending out i think I'll pass.

I realize your commentary on W&C was only peripheral to trying to sell something and I would not comment if you weren't saying something about a supplier many of us use.

My W&C rep confirms that you can indeed return anything defective, including split and refinished leather.

Actually, I don't "peripheral" ANYTHING.. usually quite clear what I'm intending. I don't 'sneak', and anything I say can be repeated by anyone who cares to. Nothing under the table around here.

When I called and complained about what I received, there was a gal told me once split it's "done" (which I had never been told before, and I thought was ridiculous). When I suggested if this is what they sell, perhaps I should go back to HO - that gal told me "we don't care'. Fair enough.

But I ordered again anyway. Now, granted we're not talking HUGE orders here, but I don't really care to have 5 sides laying in the way that I'm not going to use. But it's hardly "commentary" when you have photos... I'm freely stating this leather is not some I'm willing to use for what I do. If someone is able to use it, fine.

After moving it out of my way 3 or 4 (or 8) times, it would occur EVEN to someone no smarter than me that this stuff doesn't even belong in the same BIN as the $10/foot stuff I ordered. And speaking with 4 "reps" (2 of them more than once) comes a time when it's clear that no amount of conversation is helping the situation.

Perhaps because I didn't return whatever they were sending, maybe somebody decided I was ignorant enough I'd just take anything? Don't know. I used to see absolutely great leather from out there. I don't know what changed, and I don't intend to look into it any further. I don't run their business. I just know I paid about $10/foot (plus shipping) and got this..... so, does why really matter?

Bright side, though!!! Since I'm not ordering it, there's all the more for you boys (woohoo!).

Actually, I don't "peripheral" ANYTHING.. usually quite clear what I'm intending. I don't 'sneak', and anything I say can be repeated by anyone who cares to. Nothing under the table around here.

When I called and complained about what I received, there was a gal told me once split it's "done" (which I had never been told before, and I thought was ridiculous). When I suggested if this is what they sell, perhaps I should go back to HO - that gal told me "we don't care'. Fair enough.

But I ordered again anyway. Now, granted we're not talking HUGE orders here, but I don't really care to have 5 sides laying in the way that I'm not going to use. But it's hardly "commentary" when you have photos... I'm freely stating this leather is not some I'm willing to use for what I do. If someone is able to use it, fine.

After moving it out of my way 3 or 4 (or 8) times, it would occur EVEN to someone no smarter than me that this stuff doesn't even belong in the same BIN as the $10/foot stuff I ordered. And speaking with 4 "reps" (2 of them more than once) comes a time when it's clear that no amount of conversation is helping the situation.

Perhaps because I didn't return whatever they were sending, maybe somebody decided I was ignorant enough I'd just take anything? Don't know. I used to see absolutely great leather from out there. I don't know what changed, and I don't intend to look into it any further. I don't run their business. I just know I paid about $10/foot (plus shipping) and got this..... so, does why really matter?

Bright side, though!!! Since I'm not ordering it, there's all the more for you boys (woohoo!).

that's what i'm telling, and almost none believe that such things happen. And not only with W/C.

I feel for you and hope you will sort it out.

chears

Yep, got it straight now ;) I simply don't order any. I've refunded a couple dozen orders and cancelled the orders. Sad, but the fact is I'm not going to be bent over a barrel waiting to receive what should have come the first time. It's no longer an occurrence -- it's become the norm-- suppliers send what they feel like sending, and if it's returned, they aren't out anything, and if it's not returned, we got over (again). I simply refuse to play "mail tag" sending leather back and forth. While I made good money in leather, truth is I can make more doing other things (and STILL not punching a clock).

No worry-- that fella what got the bulk of it said he was satisfied for what he wanted it for, so at least it wasn't just destroyed (which is what was going to happen if I had to look at it much longer).

Plus, sitting at the tooling bench and the computer desk has made me WAY too soft, which I simply can't allow ;)

Edited by JLSleather

Yep, got it straight now ;) I simply don't order any. I've refunded a couple dozen orders and cancelled the orders. Sad, but the fact is I'm not going to be bent over a barrel waiting to receive what should have come the first time. It's no longer an occurrence -- it's become the norm-- suppliers send what they feel like sending, and if it's returned, they aren't out anything, and if it's not returned, we got over (again). I simply refuse to play "mail tag" sending leather back and forth. While I made good money in leather, truth is I can make more doing other things (and STILL not punching a clock).

No worry-- that fella what got the bulk of it said he was satisfied for what he wanted it for, so at least it wasn't just destroyed (which is what was going to happen if I had to look at it much longer).

Plus, sitting at the tooling bench and the computer desk has made me WAY too soft, which I simply can't allow ;)

))