tbish

Singer 153K101 Not Sewing

It sounds like the safety clutch might have kicked out or the machine is out of time. We need to see some pictures of the machine.

glenn

Need help machine won't pickup the bobbin thread thanks for any help

When did this start happening? Is the top thread going through all the upper guides, tensioner, check spring and the take up lever? Are you using the correct needle system and size? Did you try to sew hard leather before it stopped picking up the bobbin thread?

I discovered it was out of time I put it back in time but it will still skip a stitch 1 out of 10 stitches what is the largest thread size this machine will handle I have 137/17 needles thank u for help

I discovered it was out of time I put it back in time but it will still skip a stitch 1 out of 10 stitches what is the largest thread size this machine will handle I have 137/17 needles thank u for help

Try playing with the travel of the check spring. Its job is to allow a minimum of slack in the top thread until the needle contacts the material. Then, it's supposed to let the top thread go slack as the take-up lever moves down.

When skipped stitches start happening for no apparent reason, assume that the needle is at fault and replace it.

Finally, increase the pressure on the presser foot. If perchance the inside or outside foot allows the material to pucker upwards as the needle ascends, you'll get a skipped stitch. Sometimes, the pressure is adequate, but the inside foot doesn't have enough alternating travel to keep pressing down after you leave a seam. This allows the material after the seam to lift, causing a skipped stitch.

If in doubt, remove the throat plate and watch the thread as the needle ascends from BDC. It should form a loop on the scarf side, above the eye. The hook should pick off the loop. If the timing is too far advanced or retarded, the hook can miss the loop. The check spring can affect the loop.

Good luck! It's an old machine. There's bound to be slop in the moving parts that may cause the stitching problems.

The 153's tend to get slop in the hook gears. To test the amount of play, hold the hand wheel with one hand and rock the hook back and forth. Rotate the hand wheel towards you until your hook is approaching the needle. Grab the hook and rotate it ccw until it stops. Keep pressure in the ccw direction and move the hand wheel watching the hook point where it moves into the scarf of the needle. That is your true hook timing. Most people tend to set these with the hook timing retarded (late) because of the design. I still have two of these machines in service, using them primarily for binding operations. They are a bit touchy with the hook timing, and Wiz is right about making sure you have enough foot pressure and that your check spring is working correctly. Make sure you oil the hook where the bobbin basket rotates inside the hook. Have fun!

Regards, Eric

I have seen some with the needle set a little too far down and the hook protector deflects the loop causing the hook to miss it.

Wizcrafts was right on it was the check spring loosens and turned a little causing the missed stitches I did check my hook play and needle height all very good advice and I thank each one of u