v8v8

Singer 111G116

Hi everyone,

I am an absolute beginner but I've been learning a lot from you all here in the forums.

I've taken Uwe's advice (thanks Uwe) and got a good deal on a Singer 111G116 that's actually in pretty decent shape.

I wanted to go through the cleaning and maintenance before I do anything else and I understand that lubricating it well is an important first step. Would anyone have a recommendation on what oil I need to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks in advance!

I´m not 100% sure but aren´t the 111G116 and 111G117 machines with a fixed stitch length? They are quite special purpose machines if I remember correctly. Can you post some pictures of your machine?

Sure. I'll post pictures later tonight.

It doesn't look any different than the 111w155 models. It has that button on the base which I hear is used to change stitch lengths.

The exact model is not super important for a practice machine to tinker with and explore adjustments, etc. Many Singer 111 sub-models will share a great deal of parts.

For cleaning a machine I use Marvel's Mystery Oil:

12492d1051480880-marvel-mystery-oil-rodi

It's available at most home improvement or automotive parts stores here in the U.S. It's does a nice job dissolving crud and dried oil varnish, but it's not too aggressive to accidentally take off labels and such. I use a tooth brush to get into tight spaces and then wipe things down with a soft cloth. The Marvel oil is red in color, so be a little careful with the toothbrush if you're cleaning in front of your white curtains. Once clean, I use normal sewing machine oil like "Lily White" (available online from various vendors) to lubricate things thoroughly.

TriFlow also makes a very nice oil and clear grease which many local sewing supply stores carry (also available online at Amazon etc.). The little spout extension is super useful to get into tight spots for precise oiling. I later refill these bottles with Lily White and keep them with each machine:

Tri-Flow_Lubricant_59mls_Bottle_med.jpg553ff0d66d9f16d84dde76636b5efdec.jpg

Get a few dedicated screwdrivers for working on sewing machines. Short/stubby and skinny flat screws drivers are very useful. The Craftsman finger driver bits are useful, too:

g2298255.jpg

Also little ratchet drivers like this (except with a flat tip):

0652786-11.jpg

Tiny eyeglass repair screw driver kits from the drug store work great for taking those tiny screws on the hook gib off.

61Nk4whNFtL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe!

And here's a picture:

post-70823-0-15610200-1458190448_thumb.j

sure, oil has nothing to do with the machine it self but I have seen a 111G116 once and I had the the impression that you cannot adjust the stitch length at this particular model. If I remember correctly it had no dial for indicating the stitch length and just one plunger in the flat bed for reengaging the safety clutch but non for the stitch length. The one I have seen also had different presser feet and no "standard" needle plate so be careful with this model!!! Also the hook is not on the right side, it is placed on the left side (usually no big issue).

Have you already bought the machine?

Edited by Constabulary

Info on the G model seems a bit rare, I could only find the 111W116 (I was curious what it was).

We'll need to see some more close-up pictures, especially of the underside, too. The photo does show a stitch length viewing hole that is not in the 111W116 manuals or reference photos.

I believe the intention for this machine is (or at least my advice was) to get a very cheap test machine to learn and practice maintenance tasks with before he buys a precious keeper.

Thanks for the info, Constabulary. It's good information to know, but I'm not really concerned about the stitch length.

At this point in time, it's exactly what Uwe mentioned. I bought a cheap machine to see if I can learn to fix and maintain it...and of course sew some stuff.

Once I feel confident that I can take care of the needs of a used machine, I'll be upgrading!

I'm actually really excited about this.

I'll take some close ups and post them over the weekend.

V8V8,

I have a Singer 111G117. It is a 111W153 with a trimmer on it. Your machine is missing the trim knife mechanism which came in different gauges from 1/8" to 1/2" plus. The trimmer moved in conjunction with the feed dog. Great machine. Mine can trim 10 layers of Cordura at one time. It is not a fixed stitch length. You can change the SPI. It uses a different needle system. Not 135x17 but rather 126x11 which is a longer needle. The difference between the 111W116 and 111w117 is that the 117 had automatic bobbin tensioner. This one obviously has been gutted to make it into just a walking foot machine. The trimmer parts are no longer available from Singer and I have never found any generic ones. Consew makes a machine that might work for parts. Not sure on the model. 226VF or something like that. Hope that helps.

glenn

Looks like a great find there on the 116, Interesting information also Glen

Now I'm curious with the needle system options, that's a benefit I need to study a bit.

So the base looks to have good options for attachments and the like, having the slide covers and as a double needle base.

Keep us posted and photos are to cool!

Nice new table top, did you work that up already or did you buy it that way. If bought that way your a lucky dog.

good day there

Floyd

Edited by brmax

The 116 subclass are pretty nifty. My supplier list parts for the cutter and says they're available. Not sure it would be worth the investment.

Regard, Eric

Looks very similar to my 111WSV77 (which as far as I can tell is the same as a 111W153), only differences I can see are mine's black (!) and yours has an extra sliding plate in front of the needle.

Thanks Glenn,

That's some good information.

V8V8,

I have a Singer 111G117. It is a 111W153 with a trimmer on it. Your machine is missing the trim knife mechanism which came in different gauges from 1/8" to 1/2" plus. The trimmer moved in conjunction with the feed dog. Great machine. Mine can trim 10 layers of Cordura at one time. It is not a fixed stitch length. You can change the SPI. It uses a different needle system. Not 135x17 but rather 126x11 which is a longer needle. The difference between the 111W116 and 111w117 is that the 117 had automatic bobbin tensioner. This one obviously has been gutted to make it into just a walking foot machine. The trimmer parts are no longer available from Singer and I have never found any generic ones. Consew makes a machine that might work for parts. Not sure on the model. 226VF or something like that. Hope that helps.

glenn

It came with the table and a clutch motor.

I was surprised as well at the good condition of the table. The motor works but I'll probably be looking into getting a servo.

Looks like a great find there on the 116, Interesting information also Glen

Now I'm curious with the needle system options, that's a benefit I need to study a bit.

So the base looks to have good options for attachments and the like, having the slide covers and as a double needle base.

Keep us posted and photos are to cool!

Nice new table top, did you work that up already or did you buy it that way. If bought that way your a lucky dog.

good day there

Floyd

Thanks, though I'm such a beginner right now, I wouldn't know what to do with a cutter.

The 116 subclass are pretty nifty. My supplier list parts for the cutter and says they're available. Not sure it would be worth the investment.

Regard, Eric

The net is seriously lacking in pictures of the 111G116 so here's my contribution:

post-70823-0-81524600-1458432538_thumb.j

post-70823-0-72995500-1458432539_thumb.j

post-70823-0-08386800-1458432540_thumb.j

post-70823-0-39358800-1458432540_thumb.j

post-70823-0-73141700-1458432540_thumb.j

post-70823-0-14445500-1458432541_thumb.j

post-70823-0-89650500-1458432541_thumb.j

post-70823-0-62499700-1458432542_thumb.j

Seems to be in relatively good condition but I assume the flat bed has been repainted but that's nothing unusual. looks pretty much like the one I once have seen. Trimmer seems to be removed but I don´t see a stitch length adjuster mechanism. When you open the lid on the top right do you see a dial with numbers?

Edited by Constabulary

From my view the machine looks great and little usage, possibly can use a needle bar thread guide or I'm not seeing the thread through the hole.

Great find for sure, and thanks for the photos

Floyd

Constab: >> [...] I don´t see a stitch length adjuster mechanism. When you open the lid on the top right do you see a dial with numbers?<<

I've not actually owned a "real" Singer 111, but I don't see anything like what I'd recognize as a *feed eccentric* assembly anywhere on the underside view, either, unless it totally miniaturized.

-DC

I was just looking at the outer foot and realised that the screw clamp is at 90 degrees to that on my 111 (which is the same as my 211).