My wife learned to hand build felt hats a few years ago and we have been collecting the blocks, hand tools, steamers, etc for a few years, but she still sews the edge bindings on by hand.  Very tedious and time consuming.  i know there is a machine out there that will precisely and easily sew that edge binding ribbon on the hat and think I have heard a Singer 108K20 may have been one of those machines.  Does anyone have such a beast or any knowledge and experience?  Thanks for the help.

Tom Harrington

I don't know much about this topic, but there are a metric-butt load of binder attachments for normal industrial lockstitch machines.  Doesn't sound like the material is overly tough so perhaps something like a 31-15 with the right binder might be a solution.  I am using 2 fold  and 4 fold binders on that machine with good success. Seems like sailrite and ebay both have pictures of this sort of binding attachments.

Happy Day

Lee in Florida.

Harrington,

The Singer 108k20 I believe is a small cylinder machine.  That being said, I would think a cylinder arm like a Consew 227, Pfaff 335 or Cowboy2700 would do the job nicely.  The key with binders no matter what machine they go on is the set up.  All the binders I have use or currently use in our plant our custom made by either Atlanta Attachment or Tennessee  Attachment.  Both companies require samples of what you are going to sew, samples of the binding, the size thread, the machine make and model you are using.  These binder are not cheap but when set up properly, there is no comparison  to a generic binder.  Joe at Hockeymenders has done the same and I am sure he will agree with me.  You get what you pay for!

glenn

Glenn is correct, you can't go wrong with a custom made binder. They are pricey, however you get a binder that is made for YOUR machine, and YOUR application. That saves a lot of aggravation down the line. I have always viewed them as an investment. Guess it comes down to what you want (and are willing) to spend. 

Thanks all for your replies.  i have an older Consew model 18 flatbed with a walking foot that may be the ideal machine to get the attachment made for.  I also have a Ferdco 2000 cylinder arm but i use it for chaps and saddle work. i will check them out for a custom made binder attachment.

thanks, Tom