Sporty1

Singer 211G157 Stitch Adjustment

Looking for some advise on my backup machine. It is a Singer 211G157. My problem is that the wheel will not turn when I push the lock button down to change stitch length. Is it possible that the adjustment plates or spring is froze up on the shaft under the machine? Is there anything I can use to soak the plates and rod to clean them up? The 211G-157 seems to be kind of an odd duck in the Singer line without a lot of information available. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. If worse comes to worse, I have a chance to buy a Pfaff 145-P-6C.

Sporty1,

Chances are it is froze up. There are a lot of chemical and sprays you can use.  I would use something that isn't too caustic to start say a little Kerosene or WD-40. If that doesn't work, I would move on to a BB blaster or some rust cutter or brake cleaner. It may be froze up by dirt, old oil, or even rust.  I would give it a good chance before looking for a different machine.

glenn

The G157 is a "standard machine" with small hook and reverse there is nothing special on if not converted for special purposes. Stitch length should be approx. 4.2mm.

Look for 211W157 should be the same machine but made in the US instead of made in Germany.

Thanks shoepatcher and Constabulary for the response. I will try some cleaners and see if it will loosen up. when I tilt the machine back and watch the movement as I try and change stitch length, it appears that it is froze up. I don't see rust, but it does seem like there is an oil buildup that is dried on. The 211G157 is hard to find information on,I'll look for info on the 211W157. Thank You guys for the advice.

Dried up oil varnish due to not using sewing machine oil?  If so there are a couple other threads about cleaning up the mess.  Some machines have seized completely.  Try a search, should be able to find them.

Tom

Thanks Tom I'll do a search with these key words. I'm not sure if it's due to improper oil or just lack of use. Machine sews fine if you just leave the stitch length alone and don'e use reverse.

One more thing,  I would try a little heat on the mechanism to see if that might loosen it up.  A small Butane torch for a few seconds my do the trick. Just be sure not to get it too hot!

glenn

Thanks Glenn, I'll give heat a try. So far brake cleaner and Marvel mystery oil have not worked. I can still only turn the wheel about 1/4" either way. Maybe try a heat gun on low setting.