Wicked Welts

Hand Sewing Thread Comparison - 10 Threads In A Row

All threads stitched in the same sitting by the same person using the same techniques and tools @ aprox 7.5 stitches per inch.

All threads where used as delivered except for one (see notes in chart) and most threads where donated by forum members - thanks.

All threads where measured to the best of my abilities using a cheap digital caliper, your measurements will vary.

Test%20Chart.png

Test%201.jpg

Test%202.jpg

Test%20Close.jpg

Thank You.

Excellent comparison!

Thank you very much, Sir!

Black Dogg

Ah.... I was just wondering about your thread comparison project.  And voila, here it is.   I see that you took a neutral approach and just laid out the results of the comparison.  Do you now have a personal preference after conducting this comparison?

Thanks to the thread donations from you and Doug I reach for braided rather than twisted threads almost every time now and only wish the $6 a roll cheapo threads came in larger sizes. Beyond that, I couldn't care any less about whatever differences there might be in construction or wax content or whether they put a tiger or an eagle or ahole on their packaging.

I concur.   I'm not familiar with A-hole thread but I'll take your word for it.   How ya been man?  Haven't heard from you in ages.   Me?  Just waiting for you to finish that comparison.  Now  I can die in peace.  Good  job.

Edit:  Well all be darned.  There is such a thing as A-Hole Thread.  What will they think of next?

Edit 2:  Moderator, is this post eligible for a sticky?   It has my vote.   This is as definitive and objective as it's going to get for thread comparisons.  Well, after he updates it with A-Hole thread anyways

A-Hole Thread.png

Edited by cseeger

Not sure if I'll update with that one. It's not bad thread butt it's hard to get past the stink. I've got something better on the way, film at eleven or early next week maybe......

Edited by Wicked Welts

No love for barbours linen thread? 

Nicely done on the comparison. I assume these are all pre waxed threads, do you plan on doing any natural non waxed linen threads that you wax yourself.

Thank You and yes, all were prewaxed, albeit very lightly on some.

No opinion on the Brabours linen or any other natural or unwaxed jobs, I've never tried them (don't plan to either). I'd like to see a comparison on them though, yah never know.....

My only experience with linen is with the stuff in this comparison and recently tried it for longer (14") runs on a project that is somewhat outside the norm - leather that's harder and thicker than my skull but same spi and techniques as the flat braided threads - now it would be wrong to base a comparison on that, or to tell you that it sucked so badly that I stopped mid-stitch and tossed that linen right in the trash, or that the synthetic braided thread kicked it's arse in every way imaginable, so I won't. :)

Thank you for posting this. I have tried out a handful of these threads but just received my non-Ritza poly braided thread and I'm anxious to try it. The last version I bought performed terribly.

As for linen thread, it can look extremely fine/nice. It tends to have a softer curve than the polyester or synthetic threads, and this can be very appealing especially while stitching bridle leather or thin/stiff veg tan.

I use both, but mostly use linen for my own stuff because it can fray easier.  People tend to expect thread to look perfect for a long time so I use synthetic, even if it looks more plasticky.

Edited by johnv474