Carrieanna1172

Good knives and where to get them

Hi all

just a question for some of you guys with more knowledge of let her working knives

i am currently cutting all my leather project out with small razor knives and scissors 

if I wanted to invest in a good set of knives just for leather work 

what would be my "basic starter set " of various knives ( ones to last a long time )

and where would be the best place to get them?

Ps the scissors I'm using are heavy duty ones you get from the fabric store 

and cutting leather is hell on them ?

i have to have them sharpened a lot 

Another thing to try is a wheel-style cutter.  I use mine a lot.

Rotary cutters do work well for a fairly cheap answer.  For a great knife it is hard to do better than Leather Wranglers.

If you can get a head knife made by Bob Dozier, it is one of the best made.  Skiving knives by Bob Beard and Terry Knipschield are at the top of their class.  I have several of Terry's small leather knives and they are very sharp and very good.  That being said, old shoe knives can be very useful and inexpensive, most can be made wickedly sharp.  I still know a LOT of leatherworkers who get by pretty well with just a utility knife and a strop.

Art

Leather Wranglers handles look super comfy.  Knip knives are said to be outstanding too.

Do you palm the knife or sort of motorcycle/bicycle grip it?

Art

Thanks for the responses !  some good places to start 

i do use rotary cutters as well on occasion. 

The way I hold the knife I depends on what kind I'm using I suppose when I use a utilitiy knife I palm it.

I was thinking along the lines of a really good long lasting useful set something that keeps a good edge and doesn't need sharpened to frequently as I don't sharpen them .but I have a guy who sharpens them for me in exchange i have made him a couple leather belts for his sharpening machine

something I could even hand down to someone years from now when I am no longer able to use them 

I will check out those dozier , bob beard and kipl 

•  

•  

•  

Sign in to follow this   
Followers 
sangmort

Branding Or Burning Latigo?

Started by sangmort20 Sep 2012

14 posts in this topic

sangmort

•  
  • sangmort
  • Members
  •  
  • 57 posts
  • Interested in learning about:Dog collars, leashes, harnesses, & belts.
Hello all! I'm new here, & brand new to leatherworking! :D I look forward to getting involved in what looks to be an amazing hobby. :)

I had a question, & after scouring the internet & this forum, thought I would pose it to you fine people. I'm interested in making dog collars & harnesses, and Latigo seems, from my research, to be the most weather-resistant leather out there. I have four working-line dogs, & while we do not work them ourselves, the drive to be outside & be crazy is there ;)

That said, latigo seems to be the most fitting for my purpose. However, from what I understand, Latigo can not be tooled, nor stamped, nor carved. [ at least not easily, & it'll eventually lift / fade ] 

So, can a design be burned into Latigo? [ like with a wood-burning tool / soldering iron? ] Can it be branded?

Also, can Latigo be grooved with a saddle's groover so that I have a nice spot to stitch?

Thank you so much in advance if anyone is kind enough to take the time to answer these questions. Hopefully, one day, when I have experience I can contribute back! :D ~

Oakley

•  
  • Oakley
  • Members
  •  
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 Sep 2012 (edited) · Report post

Hello,

i never tried to burn Latigo but i don't think that you get a nice look.

Which gives Latigo a quite nice rustic touch is when you carve the uppest darker surface.
lesezeichen.jpg
[/ind