Tina66

Singer 29k60 not sewing

I am new to this forum and hoping that you all can help me. I have a 29k69 that will pick up the initial bobbin thread but will not sew. I do have a manual and I have the correct needle. It seems to me that the top thread is not feeding out? Tension seems tight thru the discs but when I loosen that tension and try to sew the thread bunches up at the needle and again it wont pick up the bobbin thread to form a stitch. Help please!

Are you holding the ends of both bobbin and needle thread for two or three stitches at the beginning?

Check bobbin thread. With the bobbin removed, pull on the thread as it comes out from under that thin metal pressure plate. If you encounter some resistance it is good.

Is the machine threaded properly? I ask, because everyone at some time let's their mind wander when threading the machine and it goes "Wonkie".

Ferg

Are you sure you have threaded the hook correctly. The 29K60 is a large hook machine, rigth? So the thread has to go through the small eye at the center of the hook. I´d also check the hook timing. When the hook tip is worn you probably have to advance the hook a little bit and probably move the needle holder a bit to the right. Loosen the upper screw on the needle holder and try to move it a bit to the right. Have you insert the needle correctly long grove to the left and short grove to the right?

Thank you both for your advice! Yes it is threaded correctly and the bobbin thread is thru the eye in the hook. There is some resistance to the boobin thread when I pull. The top thread only pulls easily when the needle is down. If the needle is up it really tugs.  Yes I do hold both threads when starting to sew.

I cant help but think its something simple that I just havent figured out yet. So eager to get my machine to work!  I sew apparel and want to start working with leather and repairing riding boots. I so appreciate all your advice! Is there anyone close to NW  PA?

Post some good detailed pictures of the threaded machine maybe someone will notice the "mistake". Have you checked the timing and tip of the hook?

Edited by Constabulary

6 hours ago, Tina66 said:

image.jpg

Trouble posting pics says only upload 1.46mb and its only a pic... Geez

Modern cameras, especially those in the newest smartphones, take photos of many megapixels in filesize. these photos can be enlarged and printed in magazines and even on outdoor banners and signs. If you are only taking a picture for use on a web page, try reducing what is referred to as the "resolution." 800x600 pixels is a good size for web use. Forum software will reduce that to about 50% for the on-page display, then render the full size when it is clicked upon.

As is, your photo is already at 931 kilobyes and just over 800 x 600 resolutiion. Otherwise, this simple close-up of your patcher shuttle, can occupy several megabytes and render at banner size.

i am also new to this forum im from adelaide south australia 

i have a 29k71 patching  machine but i cant get it to stich i have changed the 

timing but each time i turn the wheel it keeps changing position i have just replaced shuttle carrier following pinion

do i have to change shuttle carrier driving pinion 

would appreciate any advise

@ The Admin - I think its better to move Daves post to a new thread so the things do not mix up.

@ Dave

I would replace at least the driving pinion too if it is worn. But it could happen that new and used parts in combination bind up the gear box mechanism. You probably have to replace at least the small rack too. But this sometimes is a gamble and depends on how worn certain parts are and how well the new parts are made. The pinions usually have a flat tip teeth. Like this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SINGER-29K-71-SHUTTLE-CARRIER-DRIVING-PINION-82178-/161953006221

So when they are worth they look quite sharp. Here is a sample of badly worn 29K71 pinions

IMG_4427.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Bobbin is not threaded correctly in this picture.

From inside the thread faces up and you pull it down though the slot, under the tension spring then up through the guide hole

2 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Bobbin is not threaded correctly in this picture.

From inside the thread faces up and you pull it down though the slot, under the tension spring then up through the guide hole

Not sure what you see but for me it looks correctly threaded for a large bobbin hook.

C,

That large bobbin is correctly threaded on the patcher. 

glenn