bambi01

Consew 206rb 5 bobbin issue

Any guidance would be appreciated. My husband just bought a new Consew and after first time sewing it stopped. Had to ship it back to the company just got it back and same issue. He threads the machine and brings the needle down to bring up the thread from bottom and it becomes tangled. Then it gets a small piece inside and due to safety feature stops working. The company tested his machine before it was sent back and said everything was fine. This is all new to us and trying to learn as we go but it's becoming very frustrating as he just wants to sew and not spend another $145 in shipping cost. We have tried different bobbins, different thread. We are at a loss. Thank you.

What size thread are you using?  Did you leave several inches of thread hang out of the bobbin when you put it in?  When you rotate the machine through its cycle, does that tail of thread get pulled up to the top and can you then pull on it with your fingers?  When you try to sew, do you place the material under the presser foot and hold the threads for the first few stitches?

If the thread is going through all of the top guides, tension disks, check spring and take-up lever, and the bobbin is wound correctly, then the only explanations would be failure to hold back the starting threads, or the needle rotated out of left to right alignment - with the scarf on the right, which leads to top thread jamming the bobbin case and shuttle. When that happens, the Consew 206RB pops a safety clutch and disengages the shuttle drive to protect the hook. If that has occurred, completely clear out the tangled thread, then hold down the button on the bed of the machine, to the right of the bobbin area and rotate the hand wheel in reverse until the clutch pops back into place.

Both of the above replies have merit and in many cases are true. Having over 25 of these machines the first in 1976.  I have come across only one machine that exhibited this problem. At the request of the dealer and new owner I diagnosed the problem as tight clearances on the hook and race. I used valve compound, a greasy abrasive paste and coated the components while running machine to polish and increase clearances.  This worked but I don't think that machine would sew heavier than #92.  Another issue is bobbin  thepositioner escapment could need adjustment.

Holding the top thread as you pull up the bobbin thread, and when you start sewing may help a great deal. Open the bobbin cover, turn the wheel by hand and observe what exactly is happening when you pull up the bobbin thread or start sewing. Don't just step on the pedal and wait for it to jam up. If the safety clutch pops, clear the thread jam and reset the clutch as shown in the video below.