I like to experiment with different finishing techniques. Overall, I seem switch back and forth between these two:
1. "Tandy" style. Resist and stain using Highlighter stains.
2. "Sheridan" style. Oil, Neat Lac, Antique, and Tan Kote (O.N.A.T.).
One particular finish that I don't think I have ever achieved is the one in the image below. It is from the fantastic book by Bob Likewise, "Sheridan Style Carving".
The finishing process is detailed in the book (O.N.A.T.). Does anyone know what antique finish color and manufacturer is used to create the beautiful reddish finish in the the example pictures?

I can come close with the "Tandy" method using Saddle Tan Highlighter, but I don't think Bill Gardner used that method.

Thanks,

KR

finish_example_01.jpg

finish_example_02.jpg

I will bet it is "Sheridan Brown" and it is put out by Findings.TerryT

10 hours ago, terrymac said:

I will bet it is "Sheridan Brown" and it is put out by Findings.TerryT

Thanks, TerryT. Do you mean Fiebings? Do you think they are dyed before antiquing?

Yes, I meant Fiebibgs, hate auto correct.  I don't think the first picture was dyed, just  the antique effect.  Second picture probably.  I have always dyed before antique, and if I remember, that is the sequence outlined in the book.

Hope this helps,

Terry

9 hours ago, terrymac said:

Yes, I meant Fiebibgs, hate auto correct.  I don't think the first picture was dyed, just  the antique effect.  Second picture probably.  I have always dyed before antique, and if I remember, that is the sequence outlined in the book.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Thanks again, Terry.

When I dye before antiquing it usually comes out too dark and does not look like the examples in the book. Dilution?

Using different shades is easier than trying dilution IMHO

One other piece of advice is get you some wool, either synthetic or real, to remove the excess antique.  You can't get it all off with a rag, I learned the hard way.  If you get all the excess off, you shouldn't have that darker appearance.

Terry

On 5/18/2016 at 1:59 PM, terrymac said:

One other piece of advice is get you some wool, either synthetic or real, to remove the excess antique.  You can't get it all off with a rag, I learned the hard way.  If you get all the excess off, you shouldn't have that darker appearance.

Terry

Thanks. I use the orange sheep wool.

On 5/18/2016 at 11:16 AM, oltoot said:

Using different shades is easier than trying dilution IMHO

What shades do you use, oltoot?

hay all, i was wondering if anyone has a problem with applying a finish(i use resolene) over tooling? when i sponge or brush it on over swivel cuts and beveling, it seems to swell the leather so the tooling is no longer crisp looking... i dont put it on heavy at all but its like im casing the leather again.. i see people post pics of carving and tooling and it doesnt seem like they have the samething happen, their stuff still looks crisp