makitmama

question for guys- I don't 'get' pocket wallets

soooo after making fabric clutch-style wallets for years, I made some leather wallets for spouse and friends. The spouse was easy: hog + machismo = biker wallet. The guys who wanted bi-fold traditional wallets were easy.  But I have two friends who want 'front pocket' wallets. One asked if I could put a snap on a bi-fold to hold it closed, and the other wants one that is 4x6. Aren't these too bulky for a front pocket and dress pants? the snap guy loves my 6oz veg tan- but how could I make something 2 1/2x 3 1/2 folded shut in leather that thick? and how in blazes could I put a snap on it without cracking credit cards?

I guess I just don't get the front pocket thing. any advice? suggestions? pix of wonderful examples?

If you are folding anything, you want thinner leather, like 3-4oz max for the outside, 2oz for the insides. I put snaps on my card wallets, which is basically a "front pocket" wallet imo but I do it with a thin strip over the end and I use the glove snaps. Or you could put the snaps on the front slots on something like this, but again, use glove snaps.

20160218_205441a.jpg

great wallet...

I made up a couple of samples- both in 4oz outer and 2oz liner- one similar to yours above, and one with vertical card holders on one side. The second one folds to  2 7/8 by 5 1/2. I think I am going to have to go to a thinner outer leather. Did you hand stitch your wallet in the photo? I machine stitched my samples to get them done, and planned to hand stitch the final version- but I do have a Boss coming this week...

I don't think you'd ever get down to 2.5 x 3.5 folded as cards are almost 3.5" long.

I don't have any machines so everything I do is hand stitched

These card holders could be used in the front pocket:

image.jpeg

There are several examples of this smaller "minimalist" style wallet available online and within these forums; the primary thing is to give yourself the correct size of base to work with (basically add 1/4" to the measurements of an actual card as your starting point) and to ensure the proper thickness of leather.  I use 4/5 oz for all of my backs and have had no issues with folding them; just make sure that you properly condition the leather after any working/stamping/carving and that you dampen the area that is to be folded (from the flesh side) prior to folding for final configuration.  All of my wallet interiors are made from 2/3 oz. and I only use veg-tan for everything.  If you need to add a snap closure to the item then there are a couple of ways to do that as well and there should be no risk of damage to any cards.  I use either a hidden hardware method or the visual strap method, both have worked great for me so far and have had nobody complain about or report any issues from either of them.

Good luck with your projects and keep us posted on your progress.

The front pocket wallet design on "leathercraft library" may be what u are looking for. Of corse it is for people who like deep pockets. I have one and put it in my front pocket only a few times but it works fine. The idea behind it is that it has the curved edge that curves with the design of the pocket. I made a diff interior with it than the "LL" has. The curved part is all shape and no practicality however would be a perfect place for a snap to where no cards are present. I added an outside pocket for change or a card. 

image.jpeg