grumpybearholsters

Smooth impressions on vegtan

Ok, as I mentioned in another post, I am in my embryotic stages of holster making.   I like doing some design work (ie. military symbols) on some of them.  I've used some of the stamps that Tandy offers, but would rather not have a textured indentation.  I've searched on here, but didn't come up with anything (most likely due to my horrible searching).  If I want to have a smooth indentation in a design, what is the best way to go about that?  If it's something that I would do often, I would have a custom stamp made and use my press.  However, if it's something that wouldn't be a common item, it's just not cost effective to have a custom stamp done.  Thanks for any and all advice.

Im not entirely sure I know what you mean by a textured vs non textured indentation. I know you said you didnt want to invest in a stamp but I would be remiss if I didnt mention that "studio-n" does stamps on nylon that are pretty inexpensive. He is a member here and here is his site

http://www.lasered-stamps.com/

You need a smooth stamp. You can have custom things done in delrin or brass. I had my logo made up in Delrin and use it as a makers mark. 

Thank you both for the responses.  I am looking at getting custom stamps made and will definitely check in with Nick. 

I attached a picture of the tool I've been using. While I do like the tool, I would like to have something that doesn't have a pattern to the background tool. 

tmp_14449-a104-2-1760398793.jpg

If you're just looking for that tool in a flat scenario, just take a file to it and flatten it off. I'm a newbie so take it for what it's worth.

You can make your own with a SS bolt

You could try inverted carving. You just leave foreground plain. The look may appeal to you.

cbbe322acaf2fb0d9438864bc86ff196.jpg

Michelle