Mujician

Following a pattern

Hi,

I'm just starting out on my leathercrafting journey - so far I have just done simple tooling for things like keyfobs, coasters etc. I have just completed two wallet kits which I'm quite pleased with but I have now also purchased some wallet patterns. Having never done anything like this before they are leaving me a little perplexed as there is little indication of what material to use for which part, or how exactly its best to start, right down to simply getting the pattern the paper I printed it on, onto the leather. Can anyone offer any help, or direct me to some decent videos online. Thanks

Without knowing who's pattern you're using, it'll be hard to offer much regarding materials. Regarding the pattern & paper, I like to use heavy card stock. It cuts easily, and is easy enough to trace around & re-print if necessary. Have you tried contacting the pattern maker for more detailed assembly & material questions? Can you post a link to the pattern you purchased? Perhaps if we can see some finished photos we'll better be able to assist you.

I think I'm going to go with just veg tan leather for the back and the lining leather I have for the insides. I do have a question about lining wallets - how firm should the lining leather be? I bought 16ft of lining leather from le provo (UK shop) and it was not how I expected - really flimsy/floppy - will this be okay if I measure up everything okay or would you recommend something firmer?

Hello there ;>)  ANY "pattern" should logically include materials and instructions on the use of that pattern.  And I personally don't think a guy should need a password or a 'subscription' to ask a simple question.

I have a few patterns on my site - including some small wallets - and I'll be adding a good many more.  Got a particular style you're interested in?  Don't hurt to ask.. I may have that on the list!  

Perhaps I should also include measurements in cm / mm, but I figured a guy can trace the line in any language.  Since I have listed them in inches only, you are welcome to use them (and the instructions) FREE OF CHARGE due to my "mistake". Least I can do!  ;)

Got a question about those patterns? Just ask away ... simple. http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/

Edited by JLSleather

If your pattern doesn't come with recommendations as to type & thickness of leathers to use, then experience is probably your best judge for selecting.  I haven't made a wallet yet, but I would guess a 4-5 oz is appropriate for the back, 2-3 oz for the card pockets & interior, and probably pig skin for the liner.  This is just a guess based on my limited experiences.  Like I said, I haven't made a wallet, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

*edit*

Pattern paper can be anything you want.  It probably doesn't specify, because it's one of the things that different people prefer different materials.  Like the guy above, I use poster board (heavy card stock).  Some people prefer wooden templates, acrylic, bag stiffener, etc.

Edited by huffdad