Uwe

Thread gets caught under hook occasionally

Drop in replacement more or less. The 111G156 came with an OEM Made in Germany Singer hook with fixed shaft (the one in the picture) but I once restored a Duerk. 239 a while ago and that machine came with a bunch of extra parts incl. some hooks. The mechanic of the two machines looked very similar and my Singer hook seemed to be a bit worn though it still worked fine. I just gave it a try and it worked well. Only technical difference beside the replaceable shaft is that the Singer hook has a slit in the shaft for the set screw whereas the Duerkopp hook hasn´t (hook saddle and gears are the same with the same set screws).

Recently I have replaced a needle bar on a Durkopp machine with a 111 needle bar from College Sewing - worked well. So I know for sure that many Singer 111 and Duerkopp 239 / 241 / 245 (245 is needle feed)  parts are interchangeable. They are also using the same feet.

Edited by Constabulary

I saw a Singer 112W140 double needle machine this afternoon that also had a hook with the improved needle guard design. Looks like a good candidate to me, but I'm not sure it would really fit or work on a Consew 225 or Singer 111W155. If anybody has these in their stash, a quick few measurements would be appreciated before I gamble money actually buying one. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.37.04 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.37.28 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.18.25 PM.png

All of the sudden there's a bunch of hook candidates! The Singer 111W151 hook (part number 240240, available from Sharp Sewing on Ebay as of June 2016 for ) looks very promising, too!

s-l500.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.54.39 PM.png

Edited by Uwe

Uwe, I have been battling this issue with my Singer 111w152 and Seiko STW-28 double needle walking foot. I couldn't confirm the exact cause until I watched your video. I created my own style thread guide to remedy the problem. I designed them in CAD and used a CNC router to cut them from .027 plastic. They are indexed in place with thin double sided tape. PM me your info and I will send you a few guards. 

Hook-Guard-1a.jpg

Hook-Guard-5.jpg

Hook-Guard-4a.jpg

Hook-Guard-2.jpg

Hook-Guard-3.jpg

Edited by mashoolle

Thank you @mashoolle for sharing your solution to this problem and documenting it so well! Nice work on that custom part, it looks very professional. I did some prototype milling with Delrin plastic and it's a great material.

It's been a while since I started this topic and I now realize that I neglected to follow up with the fix I eventually came up with back then. The original little tab I had initially used was not satisfactory. After some more tinkering and online research I found arbor shims at a tool supply company (Production Tool Supply) that were just the right size and thickness. With two drops of super glue the arbor shim also worked quite nicely for keeping the thread from getting caught under the hook.

Here are a few pictures of my arbor shim fix/hack:

IMG_9553.jpgIMG_9554.jpgIMG_9555.jpg