Chopinzee

making raw edges match

Just started a first attempt at a project with veg tanned leather; very simple wallet pattern.  Here's my problem: I cut the darn thing out 5 times, wasted a TON of leather, and still can't seem to cut pieces that match.  They're not off by much, but the edges just don't line up perfectly together.  I'm sure my pattern itself was cut accurately (I used scissors, and cut in the center of the printed lines).  It's just cutting the actual leather that I can't seem to be accurate.... I'm using a fresh blade on a utility knife, a cutting mat, and a straightedge, but I just don't have the control to cut to within a millimeter.  (Or the vision to SEE to within a millimeter!) Is there any way to "true up" the pieces with each other AFTER they've been cut? 

Edited by Chopinzee

Once they are glued and stitched let it set up over night then take it to a sander carefully. Or you can use a small hand block covered with sand paper. 

Now the hard part is getting the edges trued up and keeping your stitch line true to your edges. This takes some practice. I have done one side from the pattern and the other side slightly proud of it. Stitch according to the pattern cut piece then sand/cut down the edges. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Oh, you CAN true the edges afterwards... thank goodness! Earlier I had tried sanding, but just managed to rough up the edges without actually taking anything off, so I figured that couldn't be the solution.  But I was probably just not persistent enough.  I don't have a belt sander, so maybe it's time to get out the dremel tool.... 

I was prepared for stitching/dyeing/finishing to be hard, but I had no idea I wouldn't even make it past the cutting stage. :blink: 

Sanding is your friend.  Id stay away from machines until you get the feel for it.  Another option is to cut out one piece, glue it to the second piece and THEN cut the second piece.  This ensures they match, but its a bit more difficult.  Lastly, I'd try to get a good leather knife.  They are worth their weight in gold for cutting out pieces.  

Or you could cut each piece a little larger than needed. Attach and finish everything but the oversize edges, and then just cut them as a single piece. Instant edge match!

I do this when multiple edges need to be exact.

Joel

I cut one piece the size I want, cut the other pieces a little larger, glue them together, then trim and sand to fit.

I mark the stitch line/groove after sanding the edges flush. That way it looks evenly spaced all the way around.

Edited by Colt W Knight