YinTx

Can anyone identify this leather?

I have a single piece of this leather, but I am uncertain what it is.  Can anyone help me identify it?  It appears rough, but it is actually pretty smooth and fairly soft, with a unique looking grain to it.  Any help would be appreciated!

YinTx

UnknownHide2LoRes.jpg

Not just from the picture, no - I can't say.  That grain does look a bit like sheep, but that's about all that can be said just from this.

Yes, it is fairly thin, maybe 3 oz.  Feels pretty light, at first I thought maybe goat, but smaller, and I didn't recognize the grain pattern, so maybe sheep?  I'll look for other pics of sheep online and see if it looks similar..

YinTx

Looks like sheep to but size should be an indication. Try ripping it near that hole. If it rips fairly easily I would say sheep. This is a reason I don't like using sheep skin for almost anything.

Yep, sheep tends ta be stretchy .... 

Without getting too far from the original question --- goat on the other hand is generally quite firm and strong for it's thickness.  Makes great wallet (and other small project) pockets.

Sheep tends to be quite stretchy and not much use unless it's glued to something else.

Edited by JLSleather

It is a little stretchy, but not much.  I was able to tear it on a 1/2" width, but it was a bit of effort.  I'm going to assume then sheep, and use it as a liner for something.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

YinTx