MG513

Poly vs Nylon bonded thread for Wallets

Hey guys, 

im going to start making some wallets and have a question on thread. I'm going to buy some Hermann oak veg tan and machine stitch some card holders. I have a consew 206rb. I'm wanting to get 138 thread in a natural color to go along with the color of the vegtan, but so far I've only been finding poly and not nylon (in natural color). I've read what they're both used best for, but I just want to know that my consew can in fact sew out poly?? Also, can natural poly thread hold dye? I'll be doing some patinas eventually as well. 

Also, does anyone have tips on how I can make sure my stitches look good on the back as well as the front? I've never sewn anything over v69. Pic is for reference, it's not my work, just the finish I'll be looking for! Thanks!

image.jpg

If you're looking for #69 thread, http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread-069#product-selected

Personally, I might go with a slightly heavier thread (the #92 "cashew" is very close to the same color).  

That machine is a good one, but the stitches aren't going to be the same front and back.

25 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

If you're looking for #69 thread, http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread-069#product-selected

Personally, I might go with a slightly heavier thread (the #92 "cashew" is very close to the same color).  

That machine is a good one, but the stitches aren't going to be the same front and back.

I've got the scoop on we're to get the 69, thanks! 

So are you saying a 92 is thicker than 138?? I guess I assumed since the number is higher that signifies the larger thread size. Maybe I'm wrong??

and yes I'm sure they won't look the exact same. Just wondering if there is something I can do to ensure they just look clean on the back. 

Or did I misread and you're saying you'd go thicker than 138?

from my understanding 138 is my limit.

Sorry.. doing too many things at once (sometimes ONE is too many).  The larger number IS larger thread. For ME, #69 too small for that project, but 92 or 138 would work.

That machine, just use a sharp needle (maybe a #22?).  And I certainly recommend having bobbin CASES on hand for each size thread you use (and maybe a couple for different BRANDS of thread?).  So, set one bobbin case, for instance, for #138 thread and then use it ONLY for 138 thread.  Use a different bobbin case for #69, etc.   They're cheap, and this way you never spend time 'fussing' bobbin tension.

I dont' have my Consew any more... seemed like a good call for me AND that girl up the road.  Big mistake, ... if she ever tires of it I'd buy it back quick.

19 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Sorry.. doing too many things at once (sometimes ONE is too many).  The larger number IS larger thread. For ME, #69 too small for that project, but 92 or 138 would work.

That machine, just use a sharp needle (maybe a #22?).  And I certainly recommend having bobbin CASES on hand for each size thread you use (and maybe a couple for different BRANDS of thread?).  So, set one bobbin case, for instance, for #138 thread and then use it ONLY for 138 thread.  Use a different bobbin case for #69, etc.   They're cheap, and this way you never spend time 'fussing' bobbin tension.

I dont' have my Consew any more... seemed like a good call for me AND that girl up the road.  Big mistake, ... if she ever tires of it I'd buy it back quick.

Great advice. I do have an extra bobbin case already on hand, I will use that one. So far still no luck on finding natural in 138 and cashew in 92. If i do find them they are conveniently out of stock! Ugh. I will keep looking though... Thanks!