I made this Tandy kit tri-fold for my brother.

His knick-name is Crash as he has a way of running into things with his vehicles.

I think about 10 accidents in 10 years. Luckily he only tears up his stuff.

The center was done with Antique Coffee brown and the lettering was done with Super sheen as a resist.

The black outer was hand brushed with regular black dye.

My first lacing job. Used the Tandy lace in the kit, but it frays ALOT. I'd try kangaroo if it wasn't so darned expensive for someone just starting out in this craft.

crash_wallet.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think.

Allen

post-7341-1230312017_thumb.jpg

I made this Tandy kit tri-fold for my brother.

His knick-name is Crash as he has a way of running into things with his vehicles.

I think about 10 accidents in 10 years. Luckily he only tears up his stuff.

The center was done with Antique Coffee brown and the lettering was done with Super sheen as a resist.

The black outer was hand brushed with regular black dye.

My first lacing job. Used the Tandy lace in the kit, but it frays ALOT. I'd try kangaroo if it wasn't so darned expensive for someone just starting out in this craft.

crash_wallet.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think.

Allen

Nice! What did your brother think?

Try the Superior lace at Tandy. I just did a commission for Christmas with a LOT of lacing, and I was pleased with it.

Nice! What did your brother think?

Well, I talked to him the other night. You have to know my brother, he is ummm, different. He don't really have what we call da people skills.

Anyway he was pleased with the wallet, he likes the design and appreciated the time it took to make it, but feels it is too wide. When he put all his stuff into it, it was about 1 1/2" thick. But he plans on using it and he'll get used to it.

I did however get about 1/2 dozen requests for other people who were in attendance at our family dinner for Christmas.

One request was a diaper bag. I don;t even know where to start on that one...

Allen

Allen

A leather diaper bag? Well... whatever pattern you decide on, make sure it's well-waterproofed. Just seems like it'd be awfully heavy for something that has to be carried with an infant.

Same thing I thought. It will end up being kind of heavy.

I'm thinking to make it kind of small, maybe for a short outing.

When my kids were in diapers it seemed my wife carried enough to outfit 6 kids when we left the house.

I'll have to put some thought into it.

Allen

PS Suggestions will be appreciated!

nice looking wallet Allen, i like the colors.

just a thought...

instead of making the entire diaper bag out of heavy leather...how about just adding a panel of tooling leather to a lighter bag of garment leather, denim, or canvas?

ken

Looks very good.

After having seen this (and some other stuff on this forum), I've come to the conclusion that I need to learn how to do lacing.

Looks like you got a good piece together!!

Here's a pointer about taking pics, take it before you sheen it because the sheen causes to many glares especially when used with camera flash. Without the sheen you still get close enough to what It really looks like when it is sheened when taking yor pic and it will make it alot easier to really see your work and all its grand glory.

Lacing looks fine, nice job!

Tom

I did however get about 1/2 dozen requests for other people who were in attendance at our family dinner for Christmas.

Allen

The only diaper bag my wife and I found worth having raising our kids was in the form of a backpack. It was more rugged than 99% of the rest of 'em, handier than hell and packed more too. I think it may have been a JanSport. I dunno, Skip Hop makes one (see http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=862...4427&pc=62) similar. Diapers only last a couple of years but a leather daypack could last a lifetime, so build in baby features. Just a thought. We kept using ours for 9 years until it was stolen from our car.

Mark

you did a great job on the wallet.

your right the lace included with tandy kits is not good.

you will kick yourself in the backside the moment you try the kangaroo lace

you will want to bang your head against the wall in disbelief as to why you didnt use it sooner.

i know this because i banged my head against the wall and tried to kick my backside when i tried kangaroo lace. now i use nothing else but kangaroo lace.

if you take some of the lace found in kits and pull on it with both hands it will break.

kangaroo will not break doing this. its so much better.

as far as a diaper bag. let me suggest using veg tan leather for the front and back piece.

use deer skin for the gusset(thats the piece that joins the front to the back).

this does 2 things. one makes it lighter but is still just a stong and duerable.

second thing is when its empty the bag will collapse and allow you to store it easier.

Edited by leatherjunkie