mike6644

Flannel lining experience?

I am thinking of making one of those valet trays since it will be a relatively simple beginner project for me.  I was thinking of using cotton flannel or pigskin as the lining, leaning toward the flannel since I have remnants lying around the house begging to be used.

Anyone have any pointers to make it look good?  Will it fix nicely with something as simple as contact cement or will I need another method?

Thank, Mike

Glue it in with spray glue.  Contact brushed on will usually soak through the cloth.  3M 90 is very strong, 3M77 is a little easier to use.  Most available other brand names are similar to the 77.

Thanks so much.  That should work perfectly.

I use 3m77 or super 90 when I glue cloth to leather. I found if I spray both sides, stick it together, and then iron it, the glue really sticks well. The real problem comes with the edges. Cotton cloth likes to fray/string off. I started using nylon or synthetic cloth to line purses so I can use a lighter to singe the edge and prevent frays.

Hey Colt, glad you replied this post. Been meaning to ask you, how do you keep the fabric from wrinkling up when you fold the folio over? Just a good gluing and ironing?

2 hours ago, Red Bear Haraldsson said:

Hey Colt, glad you replied this post. Been meaning to ask you, how do you keep the fabric from wrinkling up when you fold the folio over? Just a good gluing and ironing?

If you are talking about padfolios, I glue in a leather liner with contact cement. I glue up both sides, let them get tacky, press it together, then roll piece( front and back really well) with a roller applying plenty of pressure. Then you need to let it dry  really well before bending the padfolio in half. In the past, I got wrinkles when I tried to bend it before it cured well or I didn't use a roller.

On projects, like purses, where I glue fabric to cloth, I generally spray both fabric and leather with 3M77 spray glue, stick the pieces together immediately, then iron it really well with the steam on. Since I started ironing my projects that I use spray glue on, I haven't had any delaminations.

Excellent! Good to know, good to know. I'm a fair hand with an iron (6 months in a Navy ship's laundry).

Fun, fun, fun, FUN!

Mike! Post pictures when you're done, let's see your good work!