jollins

Advice needed for shoe sewing machines

Hello all, please I am Jollins from Nigeria and I make shoes. I was using an industrial cloth machine before now but i want to get another. I saw this one in used market but i don't know if it is a good deal.Double needle Pfaff machine And also i saw a prestige double needle but China origin. Anyone with knowledge of these machines should please advice for me, need your help.

Hi Jollins, I don't make shoes, but I do know that Pfaff machines are very well made, but any spare parts or replacements parts for Pfaff are always expensive, if the machine is not in very good condition ( needs nothing replacing ) and does not already have all the parts ( feet and needle plates and bobbins etc ) that you would need for your shoe making, any parts that you might have to buy or replace would cost more than the equivalent parts of most other brands..

There are some shoemakers here, they can perhaps advise about the Pfaff that you have seen, or suggest alternatives..

Edited by mikesc

Hi Jollins, besides Mike's excellent advice, you might consider that a single needle machine will be more versatile for your needs, you can always sew a parallel line of stitches if you need multiple rows, and if you're going to own one machine, I'd look for a walking foot and a cylinder bed.

Gary

I'm thinking Jollins may have been on the right track asking about twin needle machines. Here's why:

A twin needle machine can sew two parallel lines at a fixed spacing that doesn't vary unless one sews a tight curve. The stitch lengths and positions will be matched. Many shoe uppers are sewn with parallel stitch lines.

When a single stitch line is needed the left needle can be removed and the machine will operate just fine.

A walking foot machine is a plus, but is not always required for sewing uppers. It depends on how much difference in thickness there is between overlapping pieces. Technically, a roller foot machine would do just as well.

Jollins, can you upload some photos of you shoe work here? It would help us fine tune our advice on the best machines for the job.

Note that none of the machines used to sew uppers will be able to sew soles. That is a completely different type of machine (e.g., McKay Chainstitcher).

I would ask that you let us know what the model numbers of the machines you are wanting. I have in my collection of machines a twin needle which can sew with one needle as well but the twin is to a single bobbin and designed to do a pull up effect on the top of the vamp and even slice it if required as well. Not knowing your knowledge of machines it is therefore best if we are playing with the full deck.

Thanks to all of you for the excellent advices given. However, i had purchased it before getting to see your replies. Like Mikesc opined, i haven't been able to get a double roller foot to replace the foot that came with it.

I am just coming up in the field so i need lots of advice. Attached is the machine and a sample of my shoe

IMG_20170127_111554.jpg

SI_20170404_232458.jpg

Is this a good machine for shoeing works and can i get replacement part should any damage occur? 

IMG-20170324-WA0001.jpg

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Wizcrafts said:

I'm thinking Jollins may have been on the right track asking about twin needle machines. Here's why:

A twin needle machine can sew two parallel lines at a fixed spacing that doesn't vary unless one sews a tight curve. The stitch lengths and positions will be matched. Many shoe uppers are sewn with parallel stitch lines.

When a single stitch line is needed the left needle can be removed and the machine will operate just fine.

A walking foot machine is a plus, but is not always required for sewing uppers. It depends on how much difference in thickness there is between overlapping pieces. Technically, a roller foot machine would do just as well.

Jollins, can you upload some photos of you shoe work here? It would help us fine tune our advice on the best machines for the job.

Note that none of the machines used to sew uppers will be able to sew soles. That is a completely different type of machine (e.g., McKay Chainstitcher).

Thank sir for your contribution to my awareness of what i need. I just uploaded the postbed double needle machine, I am having tough time with the maximum size of needle and thread it can carry. Any information will be well appreciated sir.

The Pfaff is a post bed machine - the Adler is a flat bed.  If you can only get one machine you should be looking for a post machine like the Pfaff in single or double needle, it will be a better all around machine than the flat bed for making shoes. Something more like the Techsew 860

http://www.techsew.com/machinery/industrial-sewing-machines/post-machines/techsew-860-post-bed-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Wizcrafts said:
1 hour ago, Yetibelle said:

The Pfaff is a post bed machine - the Adler is a flat bed.  If you can only get one machine you should be looking for a post machine like the Pfaff in single or double needle, it will be a better all around machine than the flat bed for making shoes. Something more like the Techsew 860

http://www.techsew.com/machinery/industrial-sewing-machines/post-machines/techsew-860-post-bed-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

Yetibelle thank you for ur contribution, i already have the post bed but its not roller foot and i am not having the clearance  to saw neatly.getting past here in Nigeria is difficult, that's why i was considering that. Secondly i want something that can saw big thread for contrasting. 

Although i also have another single needle postbed with roller the friend send to me however i don't seem to like it and i don't think it has thread adjustment. What do you think about this ?

IMG-20170403-WA0000.jpg