I got a pair of Uberti 1860s for my birthday, and figured a pair of holsters and a gun belt were in order.  I decided to go with a Slim Jim style holster, and created the pattern myself.  Just debating how to finish the muzzle area of the holster.  I plan on sharing the progress of my project.  Any advice or constructive criticism is welcome.

20160810_223556_zpsjznoifzt.jpg

Edited by Steve75

Personally I like the Slim Jim/California style with the sewn in plug.

Second choice is squared but open then round sewn.

Why not try the sewn plug?

I also like the Slim Jim.  Packing Iron has some good examples of the style.  I have seen two different tutorials, Ghormley's and Stohlman"s, on how to sew the toe plug in.  I was just toying with different design ideas.  The toe plug certainly would add some authenticity to the holsters.  I have not put a toe plug in any of the holsters I have made thus far.  I think I will give it a try on some scrap leather I have to gain some experience before trying on an actual holster.

Looks like a great start Steve! Congrats on the pistols and the birthday! Sewn toe plugs are cool but I haven't been tempted to try them yet. I know from sewing cantle bindings that my awl blade doesn't always come through where I think it should :).

Good luck with your holsters! 

Josh

dikman, my wife has known for a while that I have wanted a pair of Army revolvers.  She told me I could get them for my birthday in June.  I quickly ordered them and anxiously awaited their arrival.

Thanks Josh.  I am going to try the toe plug on some 4 ounce scrap leather I have first.  If it turns out ok I will try it on the actual holster.  I will post the results of my experiment when it's finished.

Edited by Steve75

I would use more than 4oz and it was suggested to me also to double it up so there is a thicker edge to glue and stitch through at an angle.

At the risk of being a broken record the Stohlman holster book shows how to do it. I tried my first a while ago and it went OK . Not as tricky as I thought when I followed directions. Trickiest parts are awl angle to hit the grooves and then the aiming of the awl towards the "centre" (think spokes of a wheel) so the inside stitches are narrower than the outside stitches.

Thanks for the advice.  I have some 9 ounce I can practice on.  I will also double up the toe plug.

Practiced making and sewing a toe plug.  I used 9 ounce leather with a plug made of a double thickness of 9 ounce leather.  I now understand why some avoid these things like the plague.  They pose a real challenge in maintaining the proper awl angle.

20160817_124040_zpskre5twri.jpg

20160817_124028_zpscuftxcpe.jpg

Edited by Steve75

Not bad at awl.

Thanks plinkercases.  I figure on doing one more practice run before I try it on a holster.  

if you put the stitch line a little closer to the edges you get a little more room for them on the plug.

Thanks, plinkercases.  I appreciate the advise.  I have my stitch line at the muzzle of the holster and the toe plug at 3/16".  It seems like many of the pictures in Packing Iron show the stitch line is closer then what I am using.  I can try setting my stitch line for the muzzle of the holster and toe plug at 1/8".  I don't think it would be safe to go any closer to the edge.

I just completed a second trial run.  It was much easier this time.  I had an easier time getting the angle right on the awl.  I will have to revise my pattern as it will likely be to tight around the muzzle based on my two trials.  

Edited by Steve75

Looking forward to the results and shared lessons learned.

Personally I like the Slim Jim/California style with the sewn in plug.

Second choice is squared but open then round sewn.

Why not try the sewn plug?

My preferences mimic yours.

Here's how I do a sewn toe plug, learning from Ghormley. I also set my stitch groove about 3/16" from the edge (on the holster). I pre-punch the holes in the toe at the same 7 stitches per inch spacing, before gluing/stitching the mainseam but I do it at a 45° angle. I make my plugs out of doubled 8-9oz with the flesh sides glued together. I make them a rough shape and then final shape them on the belt sander. Then cut my stitch groove closer to the edge than the rest of my work. I then glue the plug into the toe. I then carefully punch my holes with a smaller awl because the holes will be closer together than the outside. I still stitch with the same thread but use a smaller needle. I sometimes even work it out so that I stitch the mainseam and the toe plug with one continuous thread. I come around the toe and then backstitch four stitches up the mainseam.

IMG_3315b.jpg

Edited by Craig44
Typos

Nice job and good tips. I also continue around from the main seam. Goo trick to predo the holes on the body and use them as a guide for the plug holes with a smaller awl. clever.

If you don't have a smaller awl, you can always penetrate the plug with "just the tip" of your regular awl. Rather than pushing it all the way through.