I tried my first watch strap (all I can see is that wonky stitch) and have a couple of questions. I polished the strap with carauba wax and then a layer of leather sheen, would you put anything on the lining as it will be in contact with a wrist that can be sweaty. The slight discolouration of the lining where I have burnished it, is that acceptable or is there any way to prevent it?image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks excellent for your first band. Area's to improve I guess you already know the hole spacing and I would think the buckle slot too small if that is what it is. I would prefer to not polish the lining but would not think of it being a big sin either. Depends a bit on the leather used and what it looks like.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Looks excellent for your first band. Area's to improve I guess you already know the hole spacing and I would think the buckle slot too small if that is what it is. I would prefer to not polish the lining but would not think of it being a big sin either. Depends a bit on the leather used and what it looks like.

How would you do your edge here if you don't polish. Would you cut straight and then use edge kote?

Agree with hole spacing.  I have a centering ruler I use that has holes in two different spacing intervals on it.  They are actual holes and I can make a dent with my scratch awl resulting in perfect spacing.

there is no reason why you couldn't burnish the outer strap and then attach the lining.  The color doesn't bother me, but might bother some.

I know of nothing you can do to prevent the lining leather from absorbing sweat and/or oil.  It just happens and I think most understand it.  Maybe you can delay it, prevent no.

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Tugadude said:

Agree with hole spacing.  I have a centering ruler I use that has holes in two different spacing intervals on it.  They are actual holes and I can make a dent with my scratch awl resulting in perfect spacing.

there is no reason why you couldn't burnish the outer strap and then attach the lining.  The color doesn't bother me, but might bother some.

I know of nothing you can do to prevent the lining leather from absorbing sweat and/or oil.  It just happens and I think most understand it.  Maybe you can delay it, prevent no.

A centoring ruler, whats one of them sounds good!

I used:

0.8mm Tiger thread

John James Saddlers Harness needle - medium

6 stitich per inch pricking iron (as a beginner it was the only size I had)