JLSleather

Ebay 'n' stuff

Okay, how many of you sometimes post something on ebay?  And of those, how many admit it? :rofl:

Now, one step further... how many sometimes list something, just to see how many "watchers" you get from here?  I had one recently which was - as they say -- broke off in there.  I was out doing other stuff, paid no attention, and somehow sold a holster for like $25 (or was it $20?).  Not life-altering, since fortunately I know a guy who can make one to replace it :)

eBay is a waste of time. Anything listed gets lost in all the Chinese listing. It would be nice if they would open an eBay America site  

You make my point better than me ;)  I wasn't suggesting that anyone set up anything to sell there -- I was pointing out how many already do!

I sell on ebay all the a time. I actually just started not posting things to Etsy unless it sits a while because of the speed at which my items sell on ebay. I was posting stuff to both etsy and ebay but my stuff was selling on ebay in days so it was a waste of time and 20 cents to post to etsy as well.

Now like another post I made about ebay ... they do some weird (annoying) things with relist and changing default settings so now I know to watch closer and check ALL my settings but by and large Ebay is better to me than Etsy. Problem is they have no real provision for accepting custom orders and I get a fair amount of requests from ebay folk looking at my listings, waiting and then the item sells before they jump. Then they contact me and want me to make them one. I wish they would bring some type of custom order request like is available on etsy. I like having the ability to post 12 pix too.

Having said all that ... My marginal success may not mean very much compared to you guys who are producing a lot more stuff or whose products demand a much higher price. I'm lucky if I post 12 things a month between custom requests.

I would think those 'custom requests' would be better than ebay listings.  Looks like ebay fees are about 20%?

Wait.. so you list something, and it doesn't sell, and when you RElist it the settings have changed? YIKES.

2 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

I would think those 'custom requests' would be better than ebay listings.  Looks like ebay fees are about 20%?

Wait.. so you list something, and it doesn't sell, and when you RElist it the settings have changed? YIKES.

Oh yea I am not complaining because with the custom orders I get I dont have to share the proceeds and much of the reason I try to keep stuff on my etsy and ebay pages is just to keep my name out there. I dont want to get too busy since I am just a hobby guy but its nice to have regular work and if I dont sell stuff I dont get to make new stuff! :)

Check out the post I made a bit ago about the relist stuff. Rather disconcerting.

Yeah, that ain't good.  Ebay is all about the percentage.  They get ... purdy sure it's about 20% by the time you pay PayPal.  And they get 20% of everything, so if you take a hit, doesn't matter to them... their income still went up ;)

I sell some on eBay, etsy, and amazon by far the worst is amazon for fees. 3.99 fees for a 14.99 item. I sold 32 pocket protectors there last month. Here lately it's been 1-2 per day. I don't know if amazon handmade has lower fees though I sell on the regular site.

Amazon Handmade has a fee structure of around 12% but you should already be factoring all of of your expenses/costs (including fees, etc.) into your sell price.  Common business models insist upon making sure that you establish your "bottom line" price (the bare minimum that you will accept to ensure profitability and business growth while covering wages, etc.) and then mark it up by the fees and other residual items (such as shipping if you list it as "free shipping"; you don't really give it away).  Once you have it all marked up, that is your official list price for anything.  This method allows to actually receive what you should as revenue while covering for all other expenses/costs.  The Handmade outlet also allows you to create listings for custom made items so you don't have to have a huge array of finished products that have to ship out as soon as someone hits the payment button.

I see i need to spend more time on my own site.  Don't take long at all to get CLEAR off teh beaten path topic.

Amazon handmade is 15% (minimum of $1) for items sold. 

Also reading the fees info page it looks like right now they "wave" the professional selling thing but after this time in 2017 its a $40 monthly fee so it would be $40 a month plus 15% per sell. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=asus_hnd_lp_fees?nodeId=201818920&ld=NSGoogle

On ebay the selling fee is 10% + approximately 5% for PayPal...at least that is what I figure...most of the time it is real close to the actual fees charged.

Most items are free to list at this time...I think the limit is 40 per month then they will charge for the listing, which is 30 cents...I believe.

Edited by Troy I