I was told by a gun shop, that they can't get enough left hand holsters for this gun. They sell said holsters for about $49. So, I have a few questions-

Are these guns that popular?

Popular enough to buy a Blue Gun?

What is the best priced source?

From what I could find, $41.00 at HolsterSmith.com is the price to beat, about $18.00 cheaper than the manufacturer... which happens to be in my old hometown of Melbourne Fla.

Yes, the gun is popular.  I think it would be worth buying a dummy gun.  I bought the actual pistol, so I'm not qualified to advise on the best price for this blue gun.

$41 is about the best price you'll see for that dummy.  Personally, I'd spend the extra $10 and get the aluminum ones at Duncans. If the store is wanting to buy holsters and "can't get enough", then get at least two of the dummy guns.

Can you throw some light on that difference with blu and alum if you will, curious!

Floyd

@JLS- Thanks for the suggestions. However, just because he says they can't get enough, I have a hard time accepting that as absolute, ya know? He may have sold 3 in the last 6 months, and being in a very tiny rural area, that would be something for him. As for me, the cost may be small, but it is also a chunk that is earmarked for necessities like gas and food. Not to mention, I have no room to store stuff that will collect dust... ever watch the Tiny Houses shows?

As for Duncan, I tried to find some info, but the site was very buggy, and had no info that I could find. I did find a post saying their quality is questionable? http://pistolsmith.com/holsters-belts/21076-another-aluminum-dummy-gun-manufacturer.html

Can you add anything to that?

suit yourself.  I have the G43 in both alum and the blue.  Both work fine - the real gun seats in teh holster nicely. :dunno:  The next guy will do what he will do.

One obvious difference..... we all see them boys makin' pointless repetitive videos of their new holster they made.. held upside down with a blue gun in it.  Here's some obvious common sense info .... that upside down blue gun means nothing.

My Ring's brand 'blue gun' G43 weighs 7.8 oz (there may be some variation one ot the next).

Glock says the actual gun, loaded, weighs 23 oz.

The aluminum gun from Duncan's weighs 20 oz.

Nuf said.

Other hand, if there was a gun shop wanting multiples of a specific holster, then take their order.  If they consider "multiples" and "we can't get enough of them" means THREE, then I wouldn't invest a great deal of time there.  If they mean THIRTY, then that would be interesting -- and they should by now be discussing payment and deposits.

And yes, I would ask for a deposit.  IN a small town where everybody knows everybody, full payment up front may not be required.  But a deposit for materials is still reasonable.  Not a pretty story, but truth is some very lucrative businesses have been built with good "cash flow" -- but sadly the 'cash flow' was from not paying their suppliers and contractors.  Happens :dunno:

Edited by JLSleather

Oh, yeah.. there's a pattern for a Glock 43 holster free for the download right over there → http://www.jlsleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Gk43_P1.pdf

If you had it made into a die (and reverse it for the lefty) you would not be the first.

Thanks again JLS, I really appreciate your advice and insight. I never, NEVER let any one have both the merchandise and the money, unless I have done a lot of business with them. Found out a long time ago, its easy to hand stuff out, not always easy or possible to get the money.

As far as pricing, how much can I reasonably charge? He's getting $69 for his holsters. I have been charging $65 to the average Joe. If he does mark up like most folks, that would mean he'd expect me to sell to him for about half of his price. $34.50 seems low, considering the amount of blood that gets spilled.

Yes, the gun is popular.  I think it would be worth buying a dummy gun.  I bought the actual pistol, so I'm not qualified to advise on the best price for this blue gun.

How do you like your Glock?

I have no idea what some second party should charge some third party.  I've sold things at various prices. Still do.  I might offer something for sale at $80 today. Next week, I might sell the same thing for $37.  Or I might give one away just cuz I felt like it.  This is the whole idea behind something being "mine" -- I can do what I like with it.

But I don't concern myself with what the next guy is doing.  None of my business anyway.  I see it -- I just concede there's nothing I can do about it.  Like the sun coming up in the east.  I've noticed it, but really doesn't matter if I like it or not -- not up to me.

There's a guy on ebay, sells a lot of holsters in the $39-43 range.  I don't like 'em, and I wouldn't buy one, and I wouldn't use one.  Still, the guy sold 10,000 of em -- so 10,000 times $25 profit ... hmmm.....

IN teh end, YOU decide what YOUR time is worth. That holster in teh pattern can be made for about $15 -- that's using the 'good stuff'.  

I was just digging for an idea of what its worth. Not having been in this for long, I really have no idea what the "acceptable value" is. Everyone tells me "Your time is money". I agree, but not sure of what its worth. Being a novice, I take a while to complete each holster. Not their fault, so it wouldn't be fair or reasonable to charge them for that. I could crank them out faster, but the quality would go way down. Then they wouldn't want them. So, yeah... in the end, it is up to me what I charge, but I would like to be within a reasonable range.

Here's the same information, in a condensed version.

There is no "acceptable value".

Below this line merely expounding that one truth.

• $8 is acceptable.
  • $80 is acceptable.  
  • $800 is acceptable.  

Seriously, you have people who CHARGE for "classes" (they dont' charge ME, but they do charge). Think about that.  Somebody thinks I'll give them money to offer advice while I make a project myself :rofl:

YOU charge what YOU charge.  If at some point, it seems like I don't like it, or have an opinion about it, feel free to remind me that it's none of my business ;)

Edited by JLSleather

CaptQuirk , I just happened to see your post and I have to say THANK YOU! I was not aware of the HolsterSmith web site. I decided to take a look at the gun molds they have and found a brand they carry called "HolsterMolds". I thought I was reading something wrong when I saw the  prices, $38.95 for a mold gun and they had a wide variety. That sure beats the price for the other manufacturers. Not sure how they would hold up but worth taking a chance on in my opinion.

Hey Ed, I didn't know about them either, but I kept looking for the best price. They are also in Georgia, so I'll get my dummy likely tomorrow. As far as the "HolsterMold", I asked about it. It is "like" the BlueGun, but the trigger area is filled in, not open. Not sure if that will affect you or not, but I spent the extra few bucks for the BlueGun. Besides, Ring who makes them, is in my old hometown.

How do you like your Glock?

I like it; it shoots like a glock.  It's what I carry in summer since it's easier to conceal.  The magazines empty faster than my other Glocks.  Part of me wishes I'd have just bought the Glock 26.  Maybe I still will :-)

Hey Ed- Don't know if you are still following this thread or not, but I ordered the BlueGun from HolsterSmith.com yesterday afternoon, just got it. With shipping, the price was about the same as what Ring's wanted for just the gun. They have a good assortment of holster gear and materials, at a decent price... compared to some other sources I've used. Since they are fairly close (Same State), the shipping rates and delivery times work out way better than going through my regular places. If you are in the south, I highly recommend giving them a look.

I just have one question- The dummy came with a wood dowel. What do I do with that? Sometimes I feel like Stallone in Demolition Man, and have no idea what to do with the 3 shells :dunno:

Thanks CaptQuirk. Regarding the HolsterMold brand, having the trigger area filled in isn't a show stopper. If needed I could always break out my Dremel and cut it out as needed. As far as the dowel goes?? That one sure stumps me too.

Tape the dowel to the top of the gun to form the sight channel in the holster.  I add a dowel rod to the top of my blue guns when wet forming the holster. 

Well... I would never have thought of that. Thanks Troy.

Capt.

Just make sure it does not extend too far above your front sight and that it fits between the front sight and rear sight. 

Some people are turned off a little by the looks of the aluminum gun. It is not as "neat" and clean/detailed as the blue gun. You can see where an employee has taken a sander/grinder to certain spots to remove mold marks or a bump. Dimensionally, they are as good as the blue gun. And JSL's point about retention is a good one. I have a few of  the aluminum ones. .

@Red Cent- Thanks for the review, but its a little late, as I had to make a judgement call and went blue. I could not really find anything on their site, as it looks like it was half done, under construction. I found one site that had some negative comments about the aluminum gun, and took the chance on BlueGun. I also had some concern about how they looked, and worried it might not be as accurate based on that too. Maybe next time, the site will be up and I'll give them a try.