I really like doing Revo holsters but dont get enough custom orders for them to make me happy so I want to try and just make some and see if they sell. Question is .. what molds? I was thinking I cant go wrong with a 686 in 4 inch or/ and a gp100 in 4 inch if such molds exist but I really dont have a clue. Any suggestions. I want to do some fancified stuff ... dont know what that is yet but I have been pretty successful with the 1911's in various lengths but I would like to make some new offerings.

I have however been terribly unsuccessful with glocks. I just think there are to many companies already supplying holsters for them and I am speculating but I think glock guys are kydex. ... Or maybe my glock holsters SUCK!  :)

As always .. thank you all so much for your kind help.

alex

I really liked my gp100, but I bet you will outsell them by a landslide with the 686.

It's everyone's favorite. It's been made forever, shoots like a dream, everyone's grandpa had one, etc.etc.etc.

The sp100 maybe more popular than the gp100, and I would bet the Lcr versions would sell well.

Snub nose Taurus seem to have a big following too.

Just my thoughts.

I do well with the Sp101 and cant wait to see Jeff's pattern to see if there is anything I need to incorporate into my existing pattern. Its the only revolver mold I have though.

If ya "do well' with what yer doin, then I wouldn't bother with what that bald guy says ;)

He's right ↑  that 686 is a goody.  If yer only gittin one, I'd go for the 6" model.

More Colt Pythons out there than ya might think, too.

Just finished my 3rd Taurus Judge in a month or so. .45LC with 2" barrel.

If ya "do well' with what yer doin, then I wouldn't bother with what that bald guy says ;)

He's right ↑  that 686 is a goody.  If yer only gittin one, I'd go for the 6" model.

More Colt Pythons out there than ya might think, too.

yea but like i said . I am just a hobby guy who happens to sell a few things. Perhaps its stupid but there is a certain comforting validation when someone reaches into their pocket and spends money on one of your creations and If I dont sell stuff I dont have money to make new stuff.. 

I have the Sp101 w 3in barrel mold and if I put up a holster its gone in under 2 weeks but... its not a large enough canvass for my machinations. So like the western 1911 rig I made I am willing to make some cool revo holsters and let them sit waiting for the right buyer so long as I am having fun.

I have to check but it would be cool if I could use the 6" 686 to make 4 inch holsters as well. Works ok when I use my commander to make defenders..

Just finished my 3rd Taurus Judge in a month or so. .45LC with 2" barrel.

I have been asked before to do holsters for the judge and never took the jobs on. Is the 2" the hot version. I thought they made far larger ones.

The one guy I made 2 holsters for, has a 2" and a much longer model, maybe 9"? He has a buddy that also has the 2" model. As far as how hot they are? No real clue, but there have been several sold by the pawn shop I frequent. I would ask your local gunshops what they are selling the most.

That's a great idea,quirk. If you are thinking western rigs, the reason I like the gp100 is because it resembles the old six shooters.

Nothing wrong with being bald, Jeff. Just means I have a big brain.

Check out the smith & Wesson forum, the colt forum, and whatever other brand-specific fora there aree, and see what sidearms are the most frequent subjects of 'Where can I get a holster for...".  On the S&W forum, there is a specific and very active subforum for gunleather.

AND, I guess i should get the 29 / 629 mold as well.. third request for that in about a month n change...

@bikermutt07 - Western 6 guns? That is how I got into leather, I bought an Uberti Cattleman in .357 and couldn't find any western rigs. What I found online were very pricey or too cheap to trust. So, I made my own. When I go out into my woods, I need to carry, and the western rig seemed to fit. Nobody else seems interested in them, unless they are into Cowboy Shooting.

Holsters for any of the standard S&W frame sizes should sell well, particularly the J &K sizes.  There are plenty of S&W aficionados out there that appreciate good leather.  Once you get a few built you might consider posting pictures over on the S&W forums.  There's a lot of crossover between the S&W Line and Taurus line so Taurus revolvers should fit in S&W holsters like they were made for them.  Personally I'd start with J & K frame blue guns and then move up to L & N once I got a few holsters sold.  I suspect there's a lot more J & K frame guns than L & N but that's purely speculation.

Stu

1 hour ago, CaptQuirk said:

@bikermutt07 - Western 6 guns? That is how I got into leather, I bought an Uberti Cattleman in .357 and couldn't find any western rigs. What I found online were very pricey or too cheap to trust. So, I made my own. When I go out into my woods, I need to carry, and the western rig seemed to fit. Nobody else seems interested in them, unless they are into Cowboy Shooting.

Well yeah, 6 guns. Single action guns kind of suck in my book. They are way too slow on the loading and unloading. My dad has an old high standard 22. I loved that gun. Looks like the old single actions but the cylinder rolls out like a double action. Think how disappointed I was when I grew up and realised none of the single actions do that. I wished someone made one like that. Hence, that's why I like the gp100. I think it looks cowboyish. It would look great in a western rig, and not suck.

6 guns aren't quick to load, which does suck, since I can empty it as fast as a semi auto. But, on the other hand, a wheel gun always goes *bang*, unless it is empty, or seriously fouled up. So yeah, you do have some valid points there.

Oh, and the blackhawk and redhawk.

Shoot... ya hadda bring this up.  Now I'm noticin' just how many revolver holsters I haven't finished patterns fer (even tho I have the 'dummy').

I started shooting with a Super Blackhawk, just couldn't find one I could afford. Thus, the Uberti .357. Not a bad gun, it always goes bang when I need it to.

44 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

I started shooting with a Super Blackhawk, just couldn't find one I could afford. Thus, the Uberti .357. Not a bad gun, it always goes bang when I need it to.

I always loved the look and feel of them. I had the ruger 22 conversion, but loading and unloading turned me off to it. Just wanted to make that clear.

@bikermutt07- Yeah, loading them isn't fast or fun, but... even when empty, those hog legs are fierce weapons. You just beat the person to death with them ;)

Ha!

"I like the gp100 is because it resembles the old six shooters."

Ohhhh, such irreverence.

harold cowboy.JPG

You want fun, huh?  I've never not sold an X frame holster I've made.  lol  I've made 3 for the X frame and one for a stealth hunter.  

Realistically, the S&W K and N frames do best for me.  Took me forever to find an N frame mold, got one used from this site.  And you have to be careful with the K frames.  Most molds are the 38 special only frames with the bare ejector rod.  The .357 one's have a beefed up underlug.  I had to build my mold up a bit to make it work.  That said, I still don't move a lot of revolver holsters.  They can be fun though.  

A lot of folks like their semi autos. And the plain basic pancake holster suits them fine. But that really isn't any fun at all. I loved the look and style of the western rig I made for myself. Couldn't find one in a hundred that share that. There is the one up there :)

Eventually, I want to make an Avenger Holster for my Uberti Cattleman.

Nice to finally SEE you Red Cent!