AussieMade

Second official belt and leatherman pouch

Here is my second official belt and my first official sale. It is also my first time I have attempted wet forming. I used 4mm for the belt and pouch (not easy to wet form 4mm leather so I learnt, think I will stick with 3mm next time). I used piece of 2mm black VT craft piece for the belt sleeve. Forgot to get pics of the pouch on the belt before I sent the package away to it's hopefully happy new owner. I finally got my edge beveller, and have to say, makes life easier to burnish the edges.

Im really happy with how this belt and pouch have turned out, I just hope the measurements are correct for the Leatherman Pouch. 

Here is a few build pics of the pouch and the finished pouch and belt.

I would love to have some feedback and hear peoples thoughts on how I can improve for next time.

Thanks. 

DSC_0415.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9261.JPG

IMG_9262.JPG

IMG_9263.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

2 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Looks bloody good to me! Nice one mate.

Thanks

Everything looks good. I do have one recommendation. Don't sew across the width of the belt right at the buckle, when a belt is sewn there it can lead to the belt ripping right at that seam. Think of that portion similar to a perforated piece of paper very easy to tear. There are many examples of ways to attach a buckle on a belt on this form. I use Chicago screws (  http://rivetsonline.com/binder-posts.html?sef_rewrite=1 ) that way if the new owner wishes to change the buckle they may.  

12 hours ago, Horseshoe said:

Everything looks good. I do have one recommendation. Don't sew across the width of the belt right at the buckle, when a belt is sewn there it can lead to the belt ripping right at that seam. Think of that portion similar to a perforated piece of paper very easy to tear. 

Haven't ever had  any issues with belts tearing across the belt. I glue and rivet, so shouldn't come undone for years hopefully.

It is also how the client wanted it, so can only do as they ask.

But will take it into consideration for the next one thanks.

Edited by AussieMade

There was a comment about that in one of Stohlman's books years back.  I can see making a point of NOT sewing across a stirrup leather, or a pulley strap, but I doubt that enough force could be applied on a belt to make a difference.  Long as you don't use it to tow your vehicle, shouldn't matter.  Still, it isn't necessary -- you "could" just stop the stitching at each side of the belt as you have it, without the line going across.

The project looks good, but I agree that 10 oz leather is heavy for a small pouch.  About that size, I'd prolly use about 6 oz [2.3mm] - but the 4mm is fine for the belt.

Edited by JLSleather

2 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

There was a comment about that in one of Stohlman's books years back.  I can see making a point of NOT sewing across a stirrup leather, or a pulley strap, but I doubt that enough force could be applied on a belt to make a difference.  Long as you don't use it to tow your vehicle, shouldn't matter.

The project looks good, but I agree that 10 oz leather is heavy for a small pouch.  About that size, I'd prolly use about 6 oz [2.3mm] - but the 4mm is fine for the belt.

yeah really thick that's for sure. I got a half a belly for a really good price, ended up having to drill the holes for stitching as the stitching punch wouldn't go through all the way and kept stretching the leather too much. But I still like the way it came out. It's definitely going to last that's for sure.

Hey that is pretty cool that you got that tight a mold out of 10oz leather on such a small piece!!

1 minute ago, Boriqua said:

Hey that is pretty cool that you got that tight a mold out of 10oz leather on such a small piece!!

My fingers were hurting bad from it afterwards lol, I soaked the leather for about 45mins to get it soft enough, then worked it, dried it a bit with hair drier, wet it again, and repeat a few times, took about 2hrs to get the right shape in the end.