MaryGladys

What type of Servo Motor and Reducer for a Consew 230?

I burnt out the bearings in an almost new 120volt metal housing milwaulkee holeshooter 1/2 inch drill using it as a motor in a belt type setup. Cordless drills may have good bearings but they are frequently have a design bias for thrust loads and not side loads, this is because these are the types of loads a drill is designed for. The same thing happens when you try to use a drill press for milling, the side loads destroy the bearings. The fact that they are mounted directly into plastic does not help this. Adding a bearing on the other side of the pulley will mitigate most of this side load problem. You have just enough stub to get one on there, if you can find a way to build the arm to mount it. Judging by the fact that you can weld, this shouldn't be a problem.

Didnt think about the breaking aspect of the treadmill motors, or the runaway situations....that must have been fun.

(Ignore the bit above, for some reason it popped up in my reply and I can't get rid of it!!).

Interesting solutions motor-wise. I have a few 12v drills kicking around and they have nice motors in them but supplying power to them has stopped me from using them for anything. Because they draw lots of amps building suitable power supplies is too much trouble.

Another possibility is what many do for powering metal-turning lathes - a 3-phase motor controlled by a VFD (used 3-phase motors are often pretty cheap). Some have used treadmill motors for their lathes, but one chap found that at slow speeds it started running very hot.

Hmm, just got me thinking, I wonder how a sewing machine servo would work for driving a lathe?

Edited by dikman

Servo you mention would probably work just fine with a smaller lathe. I have a 2 HP on my South Bend. For it I built a mechanical variable drive system using two large V belts from snow machines.

Your solution of an outer bearing is a good one. There is another solution to the side torque on the drill which I considered but discarded because it involved more time and work. That was to build an arbor similar to the counter shaft setup on the Pfaff. This uses two large bearings (6204) side by side pressed into a hub which is welded to a plate. That plate is bolted to the table legs. The large pulley is driven by the clutch motor and the small pulley drives the machine. Same setup as other users have done with servos. A person could have a stub shaft could extend and attach the drill using the chuck. The drill could easily be removed for regular use if connected using the chuck. All the side draft is transferred to the counter shaft.

For heavy or extended use though the drill may not be suitable. I expect it might overheat.

Counter shaft IMG_2033.JPG

Edited by oldfarmboy
typo

I like the way you think, oldfarmboy. I've only just bought the lathe (a benchtop 10" x 22", same as the Grizzly G0602). It uses belts/pulleys but the slowest I can get is 125 rpm. I can't see any way of modifying the pulleys to slow it down further without a major re-build, so replacing the motor with a variable speed seems like the easiest option. The motor is only 1HP, so a 1 HP servo may be the go as coupled with the existing pulleys it should retain the torque. Something to think about, strangely enough even though I have 3 servos on my sewing machines using them didn't even occur to me until I read your post!