obow60

How to reduce speed on siner 95-10 industrial clutch motor machine?

I was given a Singer 95-10 industrial clutch drive machine and it runs great but it has only one speed that sews at 3500 stitches per minute.I need to slow this thing down? Can I place a speed control switch on the motor?  I've been told to go to a smaller drive pulley but can't find one for this machine. The clutch material is screwed onto the pulley that's pressed onto a shaft. I would need to find a smaller pulley with the clutch material attached and can't find one anywhere. Any information or referral to someone who knows this machine will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

With a LOT of practice you could learn to feather the clutch and control the speed somewhat, but for newbies these things are notoriously difficult to master. A "speed control switch" isn't really a viable option, the usual way to gain some control is to fit a speed reducer pulley setup or, and this is the best way, change the motor for a modern servo motor which will give you much better speed control.

Photos are always a good idea as I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean by the clutch material being screwed to the pulley.

He is probably referring to an old external clutch motor that was common on these older machines. Oddly, one of the few clutch motors I've ever found to be tolerable was just such an antique, as pictured.

-DC

ext_clutch_1.jpg

Thanks Sark - and I thought the motor on my old Singer was old! Just learnt something new, so it's a been a good day.

SARK9 The picture you posted is  the set up I have on my machine. A smaller pulley would have to have the clutch material attached to it and the shaft is press into the pulley. I can't find that type of pulley anywhere, so I guess I'll have to go to a servo motor.

Thanks for the replies

OBOW

Obow, if you can change to a servo you won't regret it. It took me a while to understand what on earth they were talking about, and then a while to convince myself to spend the money, but once I fitted one I ended up buying two more!

If you buy a servo see if you can get a 2" pulley with it.

After reading on here and help from a fellow Aussie, dikman, I bought two servo motors, one for my Seiko machine and one for a friends Consew 206RB-3, best thing I've done to my machine I think.

My friend just loves his machine too now, he's a 76 year old so the old clutch motor frightened him to death, he now sews with confidence and has made heaps of canvas items on it, every time I see him he thanks me again for getting the servo and fitting it.

Highly recommend a servo motor, even the el cheapo Chinese, ones, which mine are, and both came with the additional 2" smaller pulleys.

This is a picture of the drive pulley with attached clutch material

PICT0049.JPG

Only servo down side is you may have to get headache meds, reason; you have not decided to finally turn the radio and TV's volume down!

Floyd

I looked on ebay for servo motors and there's a boat load listed. I want to use this machine to make a boat enclosure and leather work up to 1/4" thick . The enclosure will consist of 2-4 layers of sunbrella material and a layer of .030" clear vinyl material.  I figure I need a least a 3/4hp motor with 2" pulley. Prices range from $100.00 up to several hundred dollars. What motors would you recommend ? The belt that is on the machine now is a round leather one, will I need to change the fly wheel also and will the servo motor allow me to do a back/lock stitch? I will only be using the machine a few times a year but want it to be set up the right way. Sorry for all the questions but this all new to me. If it were any kind of vehicle I'd have no problem fixing it.

OBOW

1 hour ago, obow60 said:

The enclosure will consist of 2-4 layers of sunbrella material and a layer of .030" clear vinyl material.  I figure I need a least a 3/4hp motor with 2" pulley.

Hi,

I once stitched 20 layers of truck tarpaulin, 1/2 inch total. That took about 1/7 hp to accomplish. I did this twice, one time with a clutch motor converted to single phase at 700 stitches per minute at a Pfaff 145 and one time with a servo motor at 70 stitches per minute at a Pfaff 345. The clutch motor drew 150 watts, the servo 130. Considering that the effectiveness of the motors is about 60 percent for the clutchies that's about 100 watts power output. Four layers of sunbrella I can sew on a Husqvarna Viking Combina 19e-houshold sewing machine (technically speaking. In real live the Husky gets pushed over the table by the weight and stiffness of my old folding kayak skins ;-) So I think you can go easy on the motor power, it won't be the limiting factor.

Greets

Ralf C.

3 hours ago, obow60 said:

The belt that is on the machine now is a round leather one, will I need to change the fly wheel also and will the servo motor allow me to do a back/lock stitch? I will only be using the machine a few times a year but want it to be set up the right way. Sorry for all the questions but this all new to me. If it were any kind of vehicle I'd have no problem fixing it.

OBOW

The round leather belt will ride just fine in the pulley on the servo motor. 

Note you can't do a back/lock stitch by turning a sewing machine backwards.  The hook is designed to only pick up the thread loop when turning the correct direction.  It can not pick up the thread loop when turned backwards. 

Tom

What he said. If the machine isn't manufactured with a reverse lever then you can't sew "backwards". The usual method in this case is to turn the material around, if possible, and sew a few stitches then turn it back and start sewing normally. This will lock the stitches.

As to which motor to buy, yes, that can be confusing with the choices out there. A 500w (3/4 hp) should be more than adequate for your needs. If you have any qualms about buying one from China, via ebay, then I suggest you look at the sponsors/vendors on this site and buy locally. You are lucky, in the US, in that you have dealers who sell these motors at reasonable prices. This will at least give you peace-of-mind and they're not that much dearer than buying via ebay.

I put the Consew CSM550 motor on and it works great. I can control the top rpm speed with the nob and variable feed speed with the pedal, it works great. Toke some time to redo the pedal linkage but it worked out well.
Thanks to all for your feedbacks
OBOW

I am new to Leatherworker.net. This thread was very helpful. I had been thinking about replacing the clutch motor on my Singer 95-10, but didn't know where to start. This thread answered all of the my questions. I hope to replace the motor in the next couple of weeks. I will keep you updated. THANKS OBOW60 AND ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!