zweibie

Mini Walker tracking on leather

Hello!

I have a Sailrite/Thompson mini walker and I am trying to use it for leather, but the walking foot and the feed dogs are causing bad tracking.  Are there smooth walking feet that can work with this machine?  Or, I've seen that some people file down the ridges-- what is used to file them smooth??  Any other solutions are appreciated!

Thank you for the help!

We use a grinder & then buff them or you can use a Dremel to smooth them down.

Contact Sailrite for a set of already smooth bottom feet for your mini walker

I did already contact Sailrite but received an inconclusive answer--

The PW-500 came out of China and was only in production for a year or so. They made some design changes in that factory and I am not sure if our feet will fit or not.

I will have to try what they have for the similar Ultrafeed machine, or smooth them down on my own.

Try filling ( note that is not "filing" ) the teeth in with two part car body filler ( used to be called "bondo" in the USA years ago) mix the two parts, fill in between the teeth, "over fill" just a little bit, smooth down to "level" with 400 grit paper and then with 1000 grit paper..later if you want to get the bondo out and have feet with teeth again, soak the feet in automotive paint thinner overnight and the bondo will let go enough to be picked out with a toothpick, put some in a jar and add the feet, then put a top on the jar to stop it evaporating away ( the recycled automotive paint thinner will do, or acetone )..wear kitchen gloves or latex gloves if you are not allergic to latex when you handle the bondo during mixing ( many people are allergic to the catalyst part of the two part )..and automotive paint thinners is "low flash point" ( catches fire easily ) and is not good for you to breath, so don't..and keep all that stuff away from your eyes and from children.. A friendly body shop might just give you a spoon of fresh bondo ready mixed..you could also use two part epoxy resin the kind that you get in a "stick" from hardware store, sand it down the same way as you would the bondo, clean up with acetone ( again acetone catches fire easily , is bad for you,and keep it way from kids )..Don't smooth the feet out so much that they slip..the 400 grit paper smoothing of the epoxy two part, may be enough by itself..

HTH

Edited by mikesc