travomatic

Help please! Singer 16-188 won't sew?

So I acquired a singer 16-188 recently and I figured out how to thread it and I am pretty sure that I've got the top thread done correctly, the bobbin I'm not so sure about. I think I have got it correct but when I go to sew, it just tries and tries and tries but the bobbin thread just sits there and never gets picked up by the needle. Also the (I'm new to machine sewing so forgive me for my more than likely incorrect terminology.) feeder, the little guy with teeth that pulls the material  along, isn't doing its job correctly and it's almost like the material wants to feed backwards from back to front?? Also I'm sure I don't have the correct needle or thread so I'd take any advice ya got for me on getting this old machine running.

oh and for the time being I am using this machine without a motor, and just turning it to hand. 

Thanks in advance

If you haven't seen this already, its a good place to start.  http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/16-133_CLASS_16.pdf

Are you sure that you are turning the machine in the correct direction ? ( are you treadling it ) The wheel on the right side end should be turning towards you as you sit in front of the machine..or anticlockwise if you are looking at the machine wheel  "end on"..

If you turn the machine in the wrong direction , the "feed dogs" ( that is what they are called ) will try to work backwards, and they won't succeed, and you won't be able to make a stitch.

previous thread ( there are others here ) about the model that you have..

Edited by mikesc

3 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Are you sure that you are turning the machine in the correct direction ? ( are you treadling it ) The wheel on the right side end should be turning towards you as you sit in front of the machine..or anticlockwise if you are looking at the machine wheel  "end on"..

Yep, that would do it right there.  Solve both issues quick ;)

Untitled-1.jpg