Boriqua

S&W 686 Three Evils Holster

I love your haphazard use of the tooling tools. I played a little today and decided my hands just aren't going to allow me to carve. But I just recently made a once in a lifetime purchase of all these tools for next to nothing. 

Long story short I may have to plagiarize you a bit.

Great looking holster.

4 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I love your haphazard use of the tooling tools. I played a little today and decided my hands just aren't going to allow me to carve. But I just recently made a once in a lifetime purchase of all these tools for next to nothing. 

Great looking holster.

Lol ... I put these up so people can come up with different ways of thinking and then adding their own personal touches. I cant make cool patterns like Jeff and I have learned so much here its my little way of hoping to contribute.

Just remember .. the tools you bought are just a suggestion and there is no right or wrong way to use them. Your piece is finished when you think it is.

I have always had a wierd habit of not filling in all the space. here are some old quick and dirty sketches that "may" seem incomplete. Just the way my stupid brain works I guess.

73960_1335309802910_1836034103_645107_2625893_n.jpg

File0004for skyecropped.jpg

scan0029.jpg

I like the last one best. 

My original impression was "I like the unfinished background." It's a really nice accent. Then I thought, "I wonder what stamp he was using to make those shapes.........Wait a Damn minute!!! That's a barbed wire stamp!"

So yeah, cool.

Very nice work!

I must agree with Bikermutt,  I really like the unfinished back grounding.....sorry,  but I may have to steal that idea as well. Its a unique and understated touch to a great holster.   

Beautiful work Mister. Got a Q. Do you groove your stitch line ? Sometime when I groove and stitch, the leather seems to swell up a bit after wetting and cutting though some. 

Maybe I'm grooving to deep or wetting to much . Been using waxed linen and artificial sinew.

59 minutes ago, Eddie Q said:

Beautiful work Mister. Got a Q. Do you groove your stitch line ? Sometime when I groove and stitch, the leather seems to swell up a bit after wetting and cutting though some. 

Maybe I'm grooving to deep or wetting to much . Been using waxed linen and artificial sinew.

I do not groove the stitch line. I tried it once and two things occurred to me .. I was cutting through the hardest part of the leather and then sewing in the soft flesh which seemed counter intuitive and I really found it took the character out of the stitching. The stitches in my mind just didn't look as nice. I will on occasion use a creaser and moisten the leather and make a deep crease that I will sew in but I never cut a groove.

I understand the concept is to put the stitching below the surface to protect the stitches but I have stuff I made and abused for over 20 yrs and the stitching being worn through and compromising the item never happened.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

8 hours ago, Boriqua said:

I do not groove the stitch line. I tried it once and two things occurred to me .. I was cutting through the hardest part of the leather and then sewing in the soft flesh which seemed counter intuitive and I really found it took the character out of the stitching. The stitches in my mind just didn't look as nice. I will on occasion use a creaser and moisten the leather and make a deep crease that I will sew in but I never cut a groove.

I understand the concept is to put the stitching below the surface to protect the stitches but I have stuff I made and abused for over 20 yrs and the stitching being worn through and compromising the item never happened.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Gracias Señor ! That's what I've done with the few holsters I've made (still learning as I go) but, I have grooved the belts I've lined with good results. Again, thanks for the response and keep the inspiration coming with the Beautiful Work You Do !!!

P.S. Viva Daniel Santos !!!

On 10/11/2016 at 4:52 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Great looking holster.

Just remember, bikermutt, . . . plagiarizing is one of the sincerest forms of flattery, . . . 

And after seeing the barb wire in that "dimension", . . . I just might flatter him some too.

I also once thought there was no way I'd ever do a lot toward carving (something I still believe), . . . but I bought an old "Jumbo" saddle some cowboy out Denver way had, . . . the edges are decorated with just barely visible stampings that I am sure were done by some old cowpoke wanting to decorate his saddle after he bought a plain one.  

It no doubt served his purpose, . . . I sometimes sit and look at it, . . . wishing I could just have a half hour conversation with him.  AND, it also taught me that stamping and carving are for the interest of the one doing it far more than those who will observe it later.  

At least that is my story, . . . and I'm sticking to it..............

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight