CraftyNick

First try vinagaroon and problems already

Hi leather workers, I heard of this natural leather blacking solution called vinegaroon from this forum, so I got myself what I heard to be the proper ingredients: 0000 steel wool, vinegar, and a glass jar, put the steel wool in it,  (fluffed-up) and poured the vinegar in it.  What happened is that the steel wool under the vinegar in the jar is being completely preserved from oxidizing (I presume because the vinegar is keeping it from getting oxygen).  I know the wool is rust-able, because the part of the wool fuzz that is sticking up above the vinegar-level in the jar is rusting well.  Has anyone had experience making vinegaroon who could explain what I am not doing right?  I am confused.  Thank you!

I used new wool from a craft store, I didn't burn it though.  Should I have?  I am keeping the jar loose.

The oil on it to keep it from rusting in the package is doing just that under water. Is the wool turning black at all under water? It can start off subtle. You are looking for black oxide not the standard red oxide.

I would spray it down with brake or carb cleaner to get the oil off myself, but you can also burn it off, just be careful to just get it hot enough to burn the oil, believe it or not you can actually light steel wool on fire, it will ignite because of the surface area. High school chemistry was fun..

I thought I would respond with an update:  I took the wool mass out of the jar and let it sit in the open air for a day or so which seemed to help it oxidize affectively.  For whatever reason, the solution seems to be working now, with the intended black color showing upon contact with vegetable tanned leather.  It has actually been less than two weeks since I started the batch.  Thanks for the help and info of people on this board to help me learn about this.

BTW, I did have to try setting some steel wool on fire just because... Interesting.

Edited by CraftyNick

Remember to give the vinagrooned product a good bath in water and baking soda.

I use HB Smith brand steel wool in 0000 weight and have never had to burn off anything. In fact I just finished a batch using a gallon of vinegar and 2 pads and no issues at all so if you got it from a hardware or craft store, it shouldn't have any oil on it.

I am pondering the reason why the wool is slow to oxidize at first.  The wool being submerged under the vinegar does not appear to begin oxidizing for days, so I have tried allowing it some air by lifting the wool out of the vinegar, or simply loosening the cap on the jar and that seems to quicken the rusting considerably.  I know rather little about chemistry, but this is what I am thinking.  I think the wool is un-oiled, it does oxidize well under the right conditions.  

Edited by CraftyNick

On 11/1/2016 at 9:20 PM, Red Cent said:

Remember to give the vinagrooned product a good bath in water and baking soda.

Thanks, I plan on doing that, as that is what I've learned I should do.  Just out of curiosity, though, do you know what would happen if you skipped that step?

That beautiful $3000.00 blued Colt would be yours. Any and all the rust accumulated on the gun would be yours also.