dikman

132K6 - what is it good for?

Given the machines that I have, what advantage, if any, would there be in buying a 132K6?

Compared with your 211 / 111 It can handle much thicker thread and has a HUGE rotary hook. It is gear shaft driven so no need to replace a timing belt one day. Thats what comes to my mind within a few seconds

The 132k6 was designed as a heavy upholstery machine to sit above the 111/211 class but only has the alternating presser foot arrangement.

Due to the heavy weight of the machine head it is regularly used for heavy webbing and canvas up to 8-10mm

Unlike almost all other rotary shuttle machines it can handle up to #345 thread

Edited by Darren Brosowski
Added thread capacity

I know it can sew plywood (!) and horse rugs (ughh!) but the heavier thread could be useful - if I can find heavier thread.

Given that it's not a compound feed, are there any potential issues with sewing veg. tan leather? What sort of thickness can it handle? Are spare feet readily available? Sorry for the questions, but searching mainly said that it can sew plywood and horse rugs  and so far I couldn't find a lot specific to leather work as we do it. I gather that it's a fair brute of a machine but how would it go sewing holsters?

Standard feet are no issue with them.

Many people use them for up to 8mm or so of veg tanned. I make an edge guide that people love for belts etc

Thanks MADMAX, you came up with better stuff than when I searched! After reading it all my feeling is that while it can handle slightly thicker material (and slightly thicker threads) than my existing machines there's no huge advantages to be gained in buying one (unless it is real cheap!). I think if I intend getting a bigger machine the next step has to be a 441-type.

132k / 133K are not as heavy duty as they appear to be. One reason for that is for sure the quite light weight hand wheel. I recently have restore a Singer 45D91 (pre 1945 German made 45K so to say) and it has a much larger and heavier hand wheel.  The 133K is much heavier weight wise but to me it seems the 45K has more punching power. Mechanically a bit different but needle bar and foot bar mechanism are identical. Needle and needle stroke are the same on both machines. 441 machines are for sure way ahead!

On 10/30/2016 at 11:31 PM, dikman said:

Given the machines that I have, what advantage, if any, would there be in buying a 132K6?

You get to feed the iron addiction. Isn't this enough? What more do you need for pitys sake?

1 hour ago, TinkerTailor said:

You get to feed the iron addiction. Isn't this enough? What more do you need for pitys sake?

So true - I have the same problem :blink:

c´mon - let the voices get you - you need it - you need it!!! :lol:

:lol: And that, my friends, is part of the problem! When I get interested in something I have a tendency to collect "things". Space has also become something of an issue, so the little voice is saying to wait - until the right one comes along. While it would be nice to have, it's not going to be the giant leap forward that I need/want.