keplerts

Lacing and Strings

Is it acceptable to use Bridle leather for lacing the swells on a saddle like in the Al Stohlman  saddle book?  Could I use it for saddle strings as well?  Or is latigo really the best option for these applications?

Thanks,

Tom

I am thinking it would tend to split. It takes a pretty good piece of leather to withstand that process.  I've even had latigo split.  I'm not a fan of laced swells (had too many of those to repair to be a fan) but if I was going to do it, I'd be tempted to use Roo.  Very thin and very tough, so it lays flatter.

Edit: Above comment was for the swell lacing.  For strings, I've looked for a better alternative to the latigo that's available to us today.  Not sure if EB would be a good choice or not.  There is a big difference in the EB from different tanneries.  I've used mostly W & C and I don't believe it would be a good choice for strings, or swell lacing for that matter. 

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Thanks, Big Sioux.  I just put a swell cover on my first saddle with latigo lacing and I don't think it came out very good.  I used the number 5 oval punch (3/16") and 3/8" lace.  It was SOOOO hard to get the lace through the hole actually turned the lace over on it self that make it look like round lace.  I had to really pound in down to get it flat. The swell cover was a very thick piece of middle belly skirting leather.  Now I am thinking of tearing it off and doing a welt but using 7/8 oz strap leather for the cover piece (if i can match it with dye to the brown skirting leather that I am using.  But, if I was to try the lace again would you buy a side of Roo  leather and make you own 3/8" lace?   Or buy a spool of the thin Roo lace and do the Mexican round braid to lace the swells shut.  Thanks for your help!

Tom

Bridle leather is not a good alternative for lace leather.  Bridle leather is essentially skirting or strap leather with a finish.  It is mouldable like skirting yet has a factory applied finish.  If you were to split it thin enough for lace, the surface will crack and the string might break.   Same for use as saddle strings,,, not soft enough.  Latigo or indian  tan is the best leather to use for saddle strings and general use lace,  I agree with big souix regarding kangaroo for lacing swells.  I would suggest 1/4" or 5/16" beveled kangaroo with a #3 or #4 hole.  You can buy wider widths of cut lace from Y-knot lace co.  It will be thin enough to lay smooth on your swells, and strong enough for many years of use.

Keith

5 hours ago, keplerts said:

Thanks, Big Sioux.  I just put a swell cover on my first saddle with latigo lacing and I don't think it came out very good.  I used the number 5 oval punch (3/16") and 3/8" lace.  It was SOOOO hard to get the lace through the hole actually turned the lace over on it self that make it look like round lace.  I had to really pound in down to get it flat. The swell cover was a very thick piece of middle belly skirting leather.  Now I am thinking of tearing it off and doing a welt but using 7/8 oz strap leather for the cover piece (if i can match it with dye to the brown skirting leather that I am using.  But, if I was to try the lace again would you buy a side of Roo  leather and make you own 3/8" lace?   Or buy a spool of the thin Roo lace and do the Mexican round braid to lace the swells shut.  Thanks for your help!

Tom

I buy my Roo and cut the lace myself, then I can cut it to whatever width I need. The darn stuff is expensive, but it lasts me quite awhile. Even so, I cringe when I have to buy a hide. It seems like one of those types of leather that I never really get compensated for. Weaver lists the one hide price at $14.66 a ft. but they aren't very big, 5-7 ft.

Ive split down various leathers to lace sizes just to play around with it. EB is the same as vegtan from what I can tell. Latigo was pretty good better then EB or reg vegtan but as mentioned roo is the better option out of all of them. 

There is a whip maker who goes on about latigo being better then roo and I tried emailing him about what kind of latigo he used and never got a response. Since latigo varies from tannery to tannery and is used quiet a bit in whip making there has got to be some thats much better then others. That being said vegtan roo is pretty consistant since it probably all comes from the same place anyways. 

Thanks for all the replies.  After reading them and reading other posts on swell cover installations I have decided to take the first cover I did off and replace it with a welted cover.  I think it will look nicer and hold up longer.