Eddieb

Servo pedal question

I am new and hope sombody can help me.

1. I just upgraded to a phaff 145 and would like to chamge it to a servo motor. Which motor would you recommend.

2. I have been using a small home machine with a pedal on a cord and would like to continue uaing the pedal ( i have a bad back and it hurts to sit, so i sew standing and have to keep changing positions ao the pedal on acord works best for me). 

Can a pedal sqitch be connected to a servo motor and how would i do it?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Question1: Any of the machine dealers that advertise on this site will be able to get you a quality motor for your machine at a decent price. Location would help because frequently the same motor is sold under different brands in different countries.

question 2:  Absolutely not unless you have very good electronics skills and can diy modify the domestic pedal. Its kinda like the pedal speaks english and the motor speaks chinese, and you need to build a translator from scratch without knowing one of the languages.

There are threads on this site where users have built remote, movable pedals by adapting bicycle cabling etc, but again, this will be a diy thing. Alot simpler than making an ole domestic pedal work however.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Eddie;

If you live in the USA or Canada, you can buy a Family Sew servo motor from any of our member dealers whose banners appear on top of each page on Leatherworker.net. Many of us are using the FS-550s, which has recently been replaced with a newer model: FL550. You can order it with a very small 2" pulley that really slows it down and adds a lot of punching power.

If you edit your profile to show your location, we can recommend a dealer closest to you.

Eddieb,

They do make pedals for stand up operations.   What motor you choose will help determine a stand up pedal.  Where are you located?  This will also help to recommend a dealer or place to purchase the servo motor.

glenn 

I think Uwe modded a servo control setup to use a remote pedal, basically a mechanical mod. As TT said it would be a major job to try and get one of those domestic foot controls working with a servo. Like most things, anything is possible IF you throw enough money at it, but personally I wouldn't even consider it. Plus you'd certainly void any warranty by trying it.

If you're good at DIY then it shouldn't be hard to make a suitable mechanical pedal control, however if DIY is not your thing then I'm afraid you're stuck with the normal pedal setup.

Some Efka motors have pedal options for standing workstations. 

54913-2263479.jpg

If you don't have a grand or two to spend on a high-end Efka motor, you can buy a cheap three-part servo motor like a Consew CSM1000 for around $125 and hack/make your own wired floor pedal. I once built something like that for a table-top portable setup for a Durkopp Adler 69. 

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

Edited by Uwe

I knew my ears were ringing for a reason. I posted my wired floor pedal mod/hack in the other, duplicate topic:

On 11/17/2016 at 0:34 AM, Uwe said:

I knew my ears were ringing for a reason. I posted my wired floor pedal mod/hack in the other, duplicate topic:

Do you have a link to your thread?

UWE do you have a link to your previous thread?

1 hour ago, Eddieb said:

UWE do you have a link to your previous thread?

I merged the duplicate topics into this topic. All is present here.