elkevo

Drill press - punching holes

So, I've seen folks suggest using a drill press to make their stitching holes.  I tried this with a finish nail the other day on some scrap pieces and it punched just fine.  The only hang up was that the leather got, well, hung up on the nail and had to be pulled off.  Does anyone have any suggestions to counter this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Beeswax is a common remedy for sticky things in leather :)

Poke the nail in the beeswax then punch a few holes.

Edited by Bonecross

That is why sewing machines have feet. You need to diy some kinda foot. Btw a home sewing machine unthreaded is also a hole punch...goes through quite a bit if you hand wheel and don't care if it stitches.

Use s spoon as a foot/backer. Just hold the leather down with a spoon and pull the nail out. 

Get creative. I have seen people here using a common fork as a stitching chisel. It helps even out the spacing.

Just use a small drive punch in the drill press. Punches holes like a dream!

Not sure i understand the value of using a drill press for stitching holes, since an awl is far less expensive and takes less space (and can easily be angled as needed).

But for those who want to do it that way.. why not just chuck up a sewing machine needle, or an awl blade? 

If you really want to use a pushpin or trim nail for your holes (which is a slow way to go, but does work), you can just use a metal washer to hold the leather surrounding the nail down when you pull it out. For the effort, though, I might just use an ice pick or scratch awl or something with a handle.

I chuck an awl blade into my press and just use my fingers to hold the leather.  I rub beeswax on the blade if it gets sticky.  Springfield sells replacement awl blades, which is what I have. Another reason to use an awl blade.  Other things punch round holes which cause the thread to bump up as it comes out of the hole.  An awl cuts an oblong hole which allows the thread to lay flat when pulled tight.  

http://springfieldleather.com/search?keywords=awl blade

If I have to hand stitch, I often use my Tippman manual stitching machine as a hole punch, using the sewing needle (the machined sucks as a sewing machine but it is a great $1200 hole punch).  I finally broke down and bought a power sewing machine.  

When using a drill press, I think a stitching needle from leather sewing machine would work great.  Tandy is carrying the Tippman again so they should have the needles available.

On 11/21/2016 at 0:19 AM, JLSleather said:

Not sure i understand the value of using a drill press for stitching holes, since an awl is far less expensive and takes less space (and can easily be angled as needed).

But for those who want to do it that way.. why not just chuck up a sewing machine needle, or an awl blade? 

. . . or even buy an old and badly maintained sewing machine such as say a Singer 29K that you should be able to buy very cheap and simply use it without thread and bobbin simply to punch holes neatly?

Edited by HENDREFORGAN
should have said WITHOUT thread and bobbin . . doh!