mrchris

Help with model number?

Have a machine I am going to look at tomorrow to use for some holster work. 

Found it on Craigslist. New table and servo motor and an older Singer industrial machine. According to the listing recently serviced and working well. 

But they don't know the model number or it's approximate age. Just said it is a Singer. They are asking $900 for it. 

Anyone know what model it is and some ballpark values?

Thanks!!

Here is some pics of it. 

00h0h_gExcK7rxym2_600x450.jpg

01515_1TWi6DSPhUh_600x450.jpg

00I0I_cONknteZEBz_600x450.jpg

00c0c_4k0JO9NqNKg_600x450.jpg

It looks like a 153W something probably 153W103 but its hard to tell. 

NOT a holster machine, great for other stuff though. 

$900 is pretty steep on the price. Your in the territory of new machines at that price. 

Looks like the equivalent to a Pfaff 335. Very useful machine, but not for holsters. I'm not up with US pricing on used machines, but I agree it seems pretty high. I'm guessing that it's been re-painted as there are no obvious Singer markings on it. Another thought, if they don't know the model number how can they do a proper service on it? Bit hard when you don't have a service manual for it.

It is like a 153W or Consew 227,no reverse,should sew up to 20 oz (5/16") leather.Parts are still available for it too.

I have several of the 153K103's that we mainly use for binding waxed canvas bags and work aprons. Their two main issues are the stitch length mechanism, (horrible design) and the rather small gears that drive the hook. There can be a lot of slop in the gears which causes the hook timing to retard and advance depending on the speed. I keep them well oiled and we run them at full speed. There is a work around adjustment to change the stitch length. The small bobbins are a pain, but we use T60 thread, so it's a non issue. They do have a safety clutch and there's several parts that interchange with the 211's. 

Regards, Eric

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Given the high price I'll probably just pass on this unless the gentleman selling it is open to significant negotiations. 

Not sure quite why but it seems like there isn't a lot of used/surplus machines in the Seattle area that fit the bill and what are out there are on the spendy side. Seems like every one I come across is between $900 and $1400. That just doesn't save enough money to be worth the headache. 

I'll probably wait until after Christmas and save a little more for a new machine. 

I agree with your reasoning. Given the relatively high asking price for the used machines (and if they are too high then they won't sell) and the new cost (which, in the US, is quite reasonable) then I reckon a new Cowboy or equivalent is the way to go.

There are deals in the Seattle area ya just have to be very very patient. That being said there are also people that scour CL for antiques/anvils/sewing machines who resell them either right on CL or ebay for far higher prices. Try finding an anvil now a days at a fare price. There are a few "collectors" in our area that I think are retired and they will hop in and grab stuff quicker then you can search for it lol. 

Every once in a while people will be just trying to unload stuff or wont base there prices off of ebay listings. Cant stand when they say its $50 cheaper then on ebay when that same machine has been sitting on ebay for a couple of years. 

There is a Nakajima 280L for $900 which is suppose to be a nice machine but its a flat bed. Looks real nice. There are Pfaff 145s on there occasionally at the $700 range. Scene a couple Juki 562s as well. Gotta take a gample on some stuff that doesnt look outstanding because some of them clean up real well. Oh and be ready to drive, Im in Bremerton right now and have gone to Seattle and Renton before to get my 111W155 and a Consew 227, the 227 isnt working yet, the table was shot, and it came with a newer clutch motor but it was actually free just cost of fuel. 

I actually just picked up a barely used Consew 206RB-2T. It's got a clutch motor and missing the bobbin and bobbin case but I'm into it for $200. Everything is in great shape and its appearance matches his statement that he used it once or twice and that was it. 

Even if I swap in a servo motor I'm still into this pretty cheap, so I can't complain much.