I'm interested in learning a bit more about thread lube and who uses it.  The idea for this is that it helps prevent thread breaks, skipped stitches, snagging, and heat build-up in difficult sewing situations.  Normally I don't recommend for people to use it over all in general, but this may be a mistake.  

I use thread lube on chainstitch feed of the arm machines. I currently have the Union Special 35800's we use for false-felling 26 oz. wool. I use it to help with the needle heat. I also have needle coolers.

Thread lube will make thread tighter as it runs through the tension disks (seems weird) but it does. It also makes a mess. On leather, it seems you'd want to use wax to avoid staining. On the wool, the silicone doesn't stain. It does tend to stain on woven fabric in lighter colors. When we sewed Levi's, we lubed all needle threads on chainstitch machines, flatbed and feed off the arm. We actually soaked it overnight. I don't use any lube on lockstitch machines, or the loopers on chainstitch machines.

If a machine isn't set properly, thread lube won't fix anything.

I can see that selling it to a customer without you being able to see how the machine is adjusted would make for some unhappy customers. Interesting thought.

Regards, Eric

I use thread lub when sewing using seam tape with the hope that the lub might mitigate gumming up the needle. I really don't know if it helps or not, but I think that it does. 

I liked using the liquid wax from cambell bosworth with my 441. Just made the stitching seem smoother and less stressful for the machine. Unfortunately the supplied lube pot is total crap and rusted almost instantly so Ive either got to recoat it or make a new one before I can use the thread lube again.

It doesnt make a big mess either if you put a foam stopper where the thread exits the lube pot. Atleast I didnt have any issues doing it that way.  

Thanks for the input, Eric put a lot of information down there.  I'm really surprised about using lube on denim chainstitch machines.  I wouldn't think this would help at all, but I don't really know production equipment for denim that well, it's really specialized equipment when you really get into it.  Not everyone wanted to work on feed off the arm Union Specials, they were a specialty.

On November 26, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Thanks for the input, Eric put a lot of information down there.  I'm really surprised about using lube on denim chainstitch machines.  I wouldn't think this would help at all, but I don't really know production equipment for denim that well, it's really specialized equipment when you really get into it.  Not everyone wanted to work on feed off the arm Union Specials, they were a specialty.

I actually enjoy the challenges of chain stitch machines. Aside from preventing thread breaks, the silicone helps the stitch stay consistent, minimizing skipped stitches. If you've ever had a random thread break on a pair of jeans, it was most likely where an operator stopped and started. The thread melted a bit and made a weak spot. The thread lube mitigates thread damage when stopping. In the old days before silicone, vegetable oil was used on denim. I've heard it would go rancid. 

Regards, Eric

I started to use it on my cobra 4, I don't use the machine at high speed but I kept seeing fraying at the thread guide just above the needle.  So I thought what the heck it cant hurt, with all of my leather projects the leather is usually dyed before any sewing so it is not going to affect the leather from what I have seen so far.  I have seen less thread fraying while using it and it has not had any affect on the tension adjustment from what I can tell.  Now I will say that I am a newbie at this so others opinions my vary but so far I have not had any negatives.  the other point that I will make is that, I had a potential customer ask me what type of thread I use on the leather, and when I responded with nylon his response was that he had heard that nylon will dry rot when nylon has gotten wet the dried, so my thought was that with the addition of the silicone lube it would help to create a more water proof barrier in the thread holes.   Now my take on this my be all wet and full of BS and holes so I look forward to more comments. 

14 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I started to use it on my cobra 4, I don't use the machine at high speed but I kept seeing fraying at the thread guide just above the needle.  So I thought what the heck it cant hurt, with all of my leather projects the leather is usually dyed before any sewing so it is not going to affect the leather from what I have seen so far.  I have seen less thread fraying while using it and it has not had any affect on the tension adjustment from what I can tell.  Now I will say that I am a newbie at this so others opinions my vary but so far I have not had any negatives.  the other point that I will make is that, I had a potential customer ask me what type of thread I use on the leather, and when I responded with nylon his response was that he had heard that nylon will dry rot when nylon has gotten wet the dried, so my thought was that with the addition of the silicone lube it would help to create a more water proof barrier in the thread holes.   Now my take on this my be all wet and full of BS and holes so I look forward to more comments. 

If you are seeing fraying there, there may be a ridge or burr inside the hole. There was in mine. I fixed it by using emery string, threaded in the hole and i then flossed it smooth. You can buy emery string/cord at sewing machine places and mcmastercarr. You can make emery string out of any sturdy string embedded with coarser rouge. I have even scraped the grit off sandpaper and sprinkled it on a glue soaked string.

Thanks TT for the input on that I will give that a try and see what happens.